Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Boar or Sow buddy?

Numpty

Cavy Slave
Okay, I'm pretty sure that I am getting a male baby teddy pig soon and was wondering which would be better...to get him a boar buddy or get him a sow buddy? If female then which should be neutered/spayed?

I have read a few things on cavyspirit.com about them getting fixed but I still can't decide so I thought maybe you all could give me a little insight on this.

The size of my cage I have is 2x3 on the bottom with a 1x2 2nd floor, which I think is big enough for two, I hope so cuz i want to get him a buddy but not until a few weeks after he comes home.

Are you rescuing him? How old is he? If you are rescuing him, ask the care takers if he's dominant or not. That way, you can get him a boar buddy and know who's going to be the boss so you can match up good personalities without having complications with neutering. If he hasn't been able to live with boys before, though, I would suggest the neuter option.

Unfortunatly I'm not rescuing him but he is coming from a place where I know they took care of him! He is just little, I don't know exactly but he is just young. I will see if they know if he is dominant or not though! I was reading about getting pigs neutered and it doesn't sound so good, but is it really as bad as they make it sound? I know there are some risks like with any animal but they make it sound like 99% of them die or something. That kinda scares me, I don't wanna get him and get attached to him then have him die cuz I took him to get fixed.

If he's so young, I would suggest adopting a one or two year old buddy, because adults rarely hurt babies.

I agree with DocDolittle. However, i think you should get a boar, why would you bother getting a sow and pending an extra 80 - 150 bucks just to get her or him spayed/nuetered when they could possibly die durring the procedure? I don't know, to me it doesn't seem worth the risk. Even though i know lots of people who have succefuly gotten their biggy nuetered, i just would do it. Besides, an older male should do just fine. :D

I would adopt an older boar. Spaying sows are more risky than neutering boars. If you can find a rescue or shelter they can help you find an older boar buddy that will get along with the baby.

What about if I waiting a little while(which I plan on anyhow) and then just got another little boar, or would that put their ages too close and end up having the whole puberty fighting thing?
Is so then maybe I will just try to find him an older boar for a buddy, if I can :S.

Unless you waited about 10 months, they could still fight because of puberty.

I've heard piggie puberty mentioned on a couple of threads now. What age do they go through it?

My older boy is between 18mths and 2 years old and my younger one is only a couple of months old. They seem to get on OK - a bit of rumblestrutting and chasing each other but no serious fighting. Mostly the little one pesters the older one to play with him and the older one acts like a moody teenager and tries to ignore him!

Piggy puberty occurs between 3-8(sometimes 10) months. Often times an older piggy with a younger won't be as irritable as two younger ones because emotions run high during puberty and the teenage years. A pubescent pig often picks fights or annoys and peskers, most of the time it is just teasing, but another moody teenage pig will fight back viciously. Normally, an older pig won't hurt a baby, and sometimes they even play back. My Cocoa enjoys having Pippin's company, but often times Pippin gets annoying and a little over-whelming, so he goes and hides in his house, blocking the entrance way with his big bubble butt. Lol, but they really do like each other.

Thanks DocDolittle - that's very interesting.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.