Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction Boar glue in the anal sac?

melynda

Cavy Slave
I have had Elliott about a week now. The ladies at the shelter told me he was approximately a year old, but he was found abandoned so I'm not sure they could really know his age. He certainly appears to be an adult. He's in quarantine and I've been monitoring him and doing checks on him daily.

A few days ago I checked his anal sac because I'd had him out for floor time for a good while and noticed he hadn't left any poos and he was finally comfortable enough with me to grudgingly let me do it).
I definitely pulled out some fun stuff. Hay, hair, and something very hard that felt a lot like the boar glue I had to cut off his chin the day before. Right after I cleared that, a few poos slid out and into my hand (which was special).

I've been checking him daily since then and it all appears clear down there, he's pooping normally. I've also studied everything at guinea lynx on impaction and his didn't look like the photos there.

So I guess my question is: boar glue in the anal sac, is that a thing? Or should I be worried?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think they can manage to get boar glue just about anywhere. If he flipped his sac open right after he'd deposited the glue, it could easily be scraped up inside. I wouldn't worry, and if it's really stuck, I wouldn't try to pull it out. It'll eventually come off, but you don't want to abrade the skin trying to pry it loose.

melynda

Cavy Slave
Thanks! With generous mineral oil it did come out.

Smh!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
You have to love male piggies!!!

melynda

Cavy Slave
Right?? All my animals have been male, with the exception of my first pig fifteen years ago who was a girl. My two cats are boys. This past summer I fostered two kittens, boys. I've kept rats over the last seven years, a total of six, all boys. So after my last rat died and I decided to try piggies again I just naturally went with boars. I had no idea what I was getting myself into with that impulsive choice! Lol.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.