Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blue Seal guinea pig pellets

Eventrocker33

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know if blue seal guinea pig pellets are a good quality pellet? Or does anyone know the ingredients for them?

We don't have it over here, but I've heard that it's got animal by-products in it. I wouldn't advice giving it to guinea pigs.

I can't find the ingrediants..

Scroll down a bit or use the find function in you browser. Here's GL's opinion.

Hope it's helpful. I used this thread when picking my pellets (Alfalfa. Pet Valu pellets, then I'll switch to Oxbow when they are older. I can't find Cavy Performance here.) If I could find some Proform I'd use those.

It says:

Animal Fat (Mixed Tocopherosis Preservative), Corn Meal,

Those are bad.

The verdict over there were that Blue Seal wasn't that good. Pet Valu pellets were about as good as Kaytee Forti diet (minus the icky preservative). I would like to put them on Cavy Performance but I have a hard time ordering bigger things online since you usually need to be home to recieve them up here (CanPar almost shiped an expensive computer case back to the supplier. We had to go at 7pm across town to a warehouse that had no bus access.)

Alright I won't feed it then. I was just wondering because Blue Seal is very popular for all animals at the local feed supply store.

Well what is a good pellet for an adult guinea pig that doesn't have to be ordered online?

Is it cheap? Maybe that's why it's popular.

Try to find a vet or feed store that sells Oxbow. My vet does. Just not Cavy Performance. (all of my piggies are under one year)

Is Kaytee FortiDiet or Mazuri Guinea Pig Diet or Nutriphase guinea pig food ok for an adult pig?

Or L/M Animal Farms Classic Blend Guinea Pig Food or Kaytee Supreme Daily Blend Guinea Pig Diet?

Sabriel said:
Is it cheap? Maybe that's why it's popular.
Yeah I have bought it before and I am sorry that I did...but it was $5 for 10 lbs.

Would this be good since it is a timothy pellet...Kaytee Timothy Complete.

L/M is definetilly bad.

I would go with Mazuri.

Go with Mazuri even though it is alfalfa based? What about the timothy complete?

If those are your only options- (did you check out the store locator at Oxbow?) I would go with Mazuri if you have a young one until she hits six months, then switch to timothy complete.

I might be able to order some Oxbow :) I asked my husband if I could get it shipped to his plant (down the street for mine. I work at both but I work less at his plant. Only an hour a day) and he said that his boss wouldn't mind. I like his boss. I wish I only worked at my plant for an hour a day :)

It isn't that expensive at the ferret store. You should check out using the net.

It's a lot cheaper at (broken link removed). The Ferret Store is wicked expensive for everything.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.