Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Blizzard Fleece Not Wicking after 10+ Wash

RaginAzN

Cavy Slave
I'm not new when it comes to prepping fleece for my piggies cage. I just recently added a piggy patio into my cage and thus went out and bought the Polar Fleece (seems a bit thicker than the anti-pill which I use in the main cage).I remember washing my anti-pill about 3-5 times with detergent that contained no fabric softener or softener sheets in the drier and it worked perfectly fine.

Now the problem is with this Blizzard fleece that I got from Joann, it's a bit thicker like I stated before but after washing it 10+ time it still doesn't wick at all even with washing and drying it with the same method I did for the anti-ill.

Did I just get a bad piece that had too much chemical on it and has anyone had this happen to them? As I'm about to go back and grab some anti-pill instead (as there is a coupon for 20% off and the anti-pill are on sale) and hope it goes well like it did the first time.

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Some detergent prevents the wicking. I always use a ton of vinegar in the wash during the wicking process. That seems to make is wick faster.
I have heard of people soaking the fleece in the tub or washing machine (if your washer has that option!) for several hours along with vinegar.

Have you been washing then dryer each time?

Some fleece just takes longer to wick. I've had fleece that I've washed 13+ times before being able to put it in the cage and other's took 3+.

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
I didn't have to wash my fleece as much as you but it did not start working until I added a good sip of vinegar to the detergent. I had washed it 3 Times with detergent only then dried between each washing and it didn't wick at all. I then did two more cycles with vinegar added and then it finally worked. Not sure what it is about the vinegar but it definitely helped! You might want to try that! Let me know how it worked please. I have an unprepared batch of blizzard fleece I also got at joann and would like to be able to compare to yours once I want to use it! Good luck :)

Traysea

Cavy Slave
have you tried dish soap and vinegar? I find that combo works the fastest. Dish soap is used to strip grease from dishes (and to strip cloth diapers).

RaginAzN

Cavy Slave
Some detergent prevents the wicking. I always use a ton of vinegar in the wash during the wicking process. That seems to make is wick faster.
I have heard of people soaking the fleece in the tub or washing machine (if your washer has that option!) for several hours along with vinegar.

Have you been washing then dryer each time?

Some fleece just takes longer to wick. I've had fleece that I've washed 13+ times before being able to put it in the cage and other's took 3+.

Yup, I washed it for like 40 minutes in hot water and dried it for about 30 minute each and every time on the Blizzard fleece.

I didn't have to wash my fleece as much as you but it did not start working until I added a good sip of vinegar to the detergent. I had washed it 3 Times with detergent only then dried between each washing and it didn't wick at all. I then did two more cycles with vinegar added and then it finally worked. Not sure what it is about the vinegar but it definitely helped! You might want to try that! Let me know how it worked please. I have an unprepared batch of blizzard fleece I also got at joann and would like to be able to compare to yours once I want to use it! Good luck :)

Will have to try the vinegar method later today, thanks for the tip.

have you tried dish soap and vinegar? I find that combo works the fastest. Dish soap is used to strip grease from dishes (and to strip cloth diapers).

Haven't tried the vinegar method but did try the dishwashing soap a few time and it still the same as it was before I even washed it the first time.

RaginAzN

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: I went and bought 2 Anti-Pill fleece from Joann in the color of white and pink and washed them in my usual cycle and dried them and when I tested the white one with just after 1 wash/dry cycle it started wicking pretty good already. Now the pink one wicks a little bit but seems to need a couple more washing/drying cycle but I'm going to do the same with the white one as well just to be on the safe side.

RaginAzN

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: Instead of the usual Sun brand detergent (no softener in it) I went out and got the All Free and Clear detergent as others was recommending it. Honestly don't know if it was the detergent that made the difference but I'm going to go wash the Blizzard fleece later today and see if it works with the All Free and Clear.

ajweekley

Cavy Slave
For your fleece, I would recommend looking for an all-natural detergent. Shop on cloth diapering websites, or I think now the guineapigcages store sells a good one (or at least I know they will be soon). Most commercial detergents contain optical brighteners which leave a residue on fabrics, and that can negatively impact absorbency. The ones that don't have brighteners contain enzymes, which in my opinion would be bad for piggies because if they don't get rinsed out completely and then get wet with pee, the enzymes will be activated and it can cause major skin irritation.

If you're using the right kind of detergent, there should be no need for multiple washes. Just wash with your natural detergent, and maybe add some vinegar to your rinse cycle. If you dont' have a fabric softener dispenser in your machine, you can get something like the Downy ball and fill it with vinegar, and it will release during the rinse.

RaginAzN

Cavy Slave
I would encourage you to stick with the blizzard fleece. It is a tighter weave, holds up much better, and the piggies don't confuse it with towel. The anti-pill is too soft and for some reason they confuse it with the texture of towels.........and think it's o.k. to pee and poop on it. My cage can last a week with the blizzard, and begins to smell after 4 days with the anti-pill.

Vinegar will reduce the suds effect of the detergent, but WILL help to strip the waterproofing out of the fleece. I usually wash with just warm water and All Free 'n Clear a couple of times, and then wash a couple more with a substantial amount of vinegar added in.

Isn't that what they're going to do anyways regardless of the fabric :p Also I change our their bedding every 3-4 days as well as having an air purifier right next to their cage running on all the time so smell isn't an issue at all.

For your fleece, I would recommend looking for an all-natural detergent. Shop on cloth diapering websites, or I think now the guineapigcages store sells a good one (or at least I know they will be soon). Most commercial detergents contain optical brighteners which leave a residue on fabrics, and that can negatively impact absorbency. The ones that don't have brighteners contain enzymes, which in my opinion would be bad for piggies because if they don't get rinsed out completely and then get wet with pee, the enzymes will be activated and it can cause major skin irritation.

If you're using the right kind of detergent, there should be no need for multiple washes. Just wash with your natural detergent, and maybe add some vinegar to your rinse cycle. If you dont' have a fabric softener dispenser in your machine, you can get something like the Downy ball and fill it with vinegar, and it will release during the rinse.

I'm currently using the anti-pill fleece that I got at Joann yesterday. Have washed the Blizard fleece multiple times with the new All: Free and Clear and it still does not wick at all, all the water just stays on top and slides around the fleece easily.

ajweekley

Cavy Slave
All Free and Clear is not a natural detergent. Look on the label. You'll see either brighteners or enzymes in it. You need to strip the fleece, not just wash it. Get that residue out.

Levenn

Cavy Slave
I would do a good over night soak in the tub with dish soap and vinegar, Then wash it in the washer with only vinegar then dry as you normally would.

ajweekley

Cavy Slave
I just thought of this today too -- make sure you're not using fabric softener or dryer sheets with your fleece. If you've been using those things, you'll just have the same issue again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.