Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vision Blind guinea pig?

snowball002

Cavy Slave
I have a spayed female and a male guinea pig. I think my male, Rhinestone, may be blind in one eye. Whenever I'm feeding him, I hold a piece of vegetable or fruit out in front of him, but he can't find it! He has to use his nose to find the food! He can still see where he is going when he is moving around the cage, but he is either blind or has bad vision. Is it also possible that my female could have scratched or sprayed him which cause him to have bad eye sight? What kinds of things can i do to see how bad his eye sight is? Should I take him to the vet? Thanks!

My guinea pig, Hazel, does that too. Hazel Can see, but guinea pigs vision is not very well. If you feel its really bad, try the vets.

-Sarica

Has his eye been recently injured?

It's possible that he's blind in one or both eyes, but it's very common for guinea pigs to use their noses to find food rather than their eyes. They actually have pretty poor vision, and their sense of smell is much more acute.

If he's been this way for a while, and there's no sign of infection in the eye, there's probably nothing the vet can do for him. But if something has happened recently, I'd take him in -- eye injuries can be very serious, and need medical attention.

I have one that is blind in one eye. But it is dull and very obviously different than the other eye.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.