Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Biting Bleeding Guinea Pig Bite Anything to Worry About?

imaanzg

Cavy Slave
A few minutes ago, while I was feeding her a bell pepper, Apple bit my finger and it started bleeding a lot. Since then, it's stopped bleeding. I'm pretty sure she thought my finger was part of the bell pepper, since I had a lot of juice on my hands, or maybe she aimed wrong. It hurts a bit, but not as much as when she first bit me, and even then, it didn't hurt that much. Anyway, is there anything to worry about? Should I put anything like Polysporin on it? :confused:

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
A little dab of rubbing alcohol to prevent infection, and slap a bandage on it. Even the bandage is arguably unnecessary if it's already stopped bleeding. Guinea pigs aren't exactly venomous and they don't typically carry any diseases you need to worry about. Unless she seriously savaged your finger to the point it needs stitches, I wouldn't bother treating it differently from any other tiny cut. :)

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
No, nothing to worry about. Just treat it like you would any other cut. Wash with soap & water. Use alcohol to disinfect. Use Neosporin to aid in healing. Put a Band-Aid on it for a day or two and you are good to go.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
If it becomes stiff, painful and hot to the touch go to the doctor. My son was bit by one of our pigs and he needed antibiotics as it got infected.

Zubbus

Cavy Slave
I have been accidentally bitten as well when feeding blueberries. Teeth very sharp as you know by now. Kept bleeding for like 15 minutes after putting a plaster on, fingertip now slightly scarred, actually, but no infection or any complication for me.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
I have been accidentally and purposely bit before. I washed by hands (where I was bit) and kept my finger wrapped up and used a bandaid and Neosporin.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.