Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blah! Help!

emithebug

Cavy Slave
I can't find good hay anywhere in the area feed stores. ALl that anyone sells is coastal hay. Is this stuff okay for my pigs? It's all yellow and dry... it's pretty soft, but the blades are pretty thin, and it's all yellow.

I got some for free from one place, but I dunno if I should give it to them. What should I do?

Do I HAVE to order online now? =P

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Hmm...people always say the greener the better, so that coastal hay doesn't sound that good :(

emithebug

Cavy Slave
=( So that means I gotta order online? 9lbs of hay from KM's is $20, Oxbow is $25.60, and 10 lbs from APD is $29.54.

What should I do?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Coastal hay is another name for Bermudagrass hay. But the bermuda I buy is mostly all green. So if it's more yellow and dry then it wouldn't be too good for the pigs. It could also be last year's hay crop that has dried out. The new crops are getting ready to be cut here in another week or two. Are there any other feed stores or horse farms/horse ranches near you where you could get some hay. You live in Tx and there should be lots of horse places or even a horse track/boarding place would have hay. Try what I suggested and if you can't find greener coastal/bermuda or another grassy hay, then you might want to purchase a bit of hay online until the new crops come in.

emithebug

Cavy Slave
Are Critterstore and Ferretstore teh same place?

Ferretstore APD - $27.54 for 10 lbs
Critterstore APD - $21.92

They're both out of Oxbow, which is why I ask... ^.^

My zip is 75080 in Richardson, TX, if anyone can find me a good price (including shipping) for 10 (or 9) lbs of timothy. I can't get more than that right now, because I live in a pretty small apartment and have limited storage space.

emithebug

Cavy Slave
I don't *think* that it's last year's... they had it all out in trucks in the back, and he just gave me some leftover that they couldn't sell since it wasn't in a bale anymore. But all the bales were yellow too.

=P So I should go check out the quality of all the other stores' hay as well?

You'd think I could find some horse stuff in freaking Texas, but.. =P

okay, I'll try harder. But blah! This is kind of upsetting. I really don't want to pay $4 for a 20 oz bag of timothy at the pet store now, even if I DO get a 15% discount AND 20% of the bag is "free".

Roar.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I would check out the other feed store hay too. Sometimes with Bermuda/Coastal the outside is more yellow but once you get inside it's more green. It's not a vibrant green but more of a dull green. See if they will let you kinda look at they hay towards the inside of the bale too.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Tried these?

(broken link removed)

emithebug

Cavy Slave
Okay. The piggies seem to like it, anyways. I just put a few stalks in there of the greenest stuff I could find, but... I lied, it's really stiff. I didn't realize how stiff it was until I brought it into to get a closer look. =P

They do seem to like it though. So... I guess I'll just have to look harder for my piggins =/

I was rifling through the bag, looking for some greener stuff (most of it's yellow and stiff and dry, though), and they heard... and they were wheeking so loud, I felt bad, so I gave 'em just a little bit...

emithebug

Cavy Slave
I called the first five on the list - some are in neighborhoods I'm not allowed to drive to. I know my parents would never know, but still... =P I don't like being in unsafe places.

ANyways, the first five only have alfalfa (which my pigs won't eat) and coastal. I checked the Texas department of agriculture, and all anyone grows out here is coastal.

o_O okay, I need some advice/help. Chat room time! (please!)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Just watch for any really stiff stalky pieces as it could damage eyes. It won't hurt them if they will eat it, but it doesn't have a much nutritional value like the greener stuff does.

emithebug

Cavy Slave
I thought the purpose of hay was the fiber, not really the nutritional value...

In other news, my baby is rumblestrutting and trying to mount two of my girls, so I'm really panicked right now. Help! I have to go to work in half an hour >.<

Piglet

Cavy Slave
How old is the baby?

emithebug

Cavy Slave
The baby baby is... 6 weeks old? My oldest pig is about 5 months. I think they're like, 6 weeks, 3-4 months, 4 months, and 5 months. The oldest ones are pet store pigs, with the oldest the mama of the baby. She came pregnant, so one of my coworkers adopted her so someone was ther ein case something went wrong, then I took her and one of the babies (there were two). I've tried alfalfa, and they won't eat it. They'll munch on the dry, stalky parts, but won't touch the green leafy parts.

Thus, they get alfalfa-based pellets. They'e been toughing it out on Nutriphase (which I'm not going to get anymore once I run out of this bag), and next week I'll be getting Oxbow pellets froma local get (when i get paid =P). Until then, what I have left of the alfalfa (hopefully they'll have a bit), timothy, and veggies =P

But... blah. I liked the wider-blade, softer timothy. I might just tough up and deal with the cost of ordering some of KM's online.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I'm really confused. Is the baby a boy or a girl?

emithebug

Cavy Slave
Pretty sure it's a girl, after some advice and observations from Ly ^.^

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Oh, then it is ok. I thought that it may be a boy, and at 6 weeks he would definately be sexually active. Same sex mating is normal for pigs, so don't worry.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.