Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Bitter apple spray, what brands do you suggest?

SesshyBooBoo

Cavy Slave
My pig Boo Boo is an avid c&c cage bar chewer. Every time I open the fridge he is right up on the bars. I have tried ignoring it and waiting until he gets down on his own and stops but it doesn't work. He has chewed the plastic casing off of some of the bars already. Will this hurt him?

I am looking into buying some bitter apple spray to put on the bars. Any brand you guys suggest? I looked at Grannick brand but my local pet shop only sells the dog kind (not the one specially made for small animals). Would that one still be safe to use?

https://www.bitterapple.com

I also have vinegar at home and apple cider vinegar. Are either of these safe to use? I am almost willing to give anything a try at this point!

My piggies did the same thing. I tried vinegar, they liked the taste. I had to hang plexiglass inside the cubes to make them stop. I used the pig-a-boo windows from the guinea pig market accessories store since they don't block airflow.

Vinegar will rust any section with damaged powder coating.

I have not found any taste deterrents to work on habits like that. The animals just keep trying until the taste is gone and then they chew all they want again. They also might just move a few inches down repeatedly until you've got bitterapple everywhere. Slide some cardboard in the bars. At worst the cardboard gets chewed on which is quieter, less risk of tooth damage, and the bars don't get damaged. You do have to make sure not too much of the cardboard is ingested but guinea pigs don't usually eat dangerously large amounts.

If you have a very large cage with a lot of space for good ventilation, hang fleece around the sides of the cage. It should keep him from chewing and it's easy to remove. Buy remnants from Jo-Ann Fabrics which are really inexpensive.

Mine love bitter apple.

It probly wont hurt him because the shouldent make toxic plastic if you make them for bigs and if you want to stop you can get a spray but i find if you but a blanket over them t works because my pigs do it to, but if its only when you get food its because hes exciteted

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.