Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bite injury

Moshemii

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!
Today I noticed that Ginger had this injury in her body. I guess its from a bite.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Bite injury

I brought Ginger home 5/7/12. I was told she was about 2 months old but she looks a lot smaller than that because Penélope is huge compared to her and she's almost 5 months old. I thought everything was going great between them. Ginger would follow Penélope everywhere. The problem is that if Ginger toucher accidentally Penny's bum, then she turns around really fast and attack Ginger. Besides that, they seem to get along. That injury probably was because of Penny biting her. Should I separate them?

It's hard t see because of the fur. Are you sure it's bite mark, not a fungal infection? If it is a bite mark, I'd just keep a close eye on them, but leave them together for now. Penelope might be cranky if she's in heat.

Sorry for the late response. At first I did thought it was like a bite mark, but today I was checking her again and I saw this:

[GuineaPigCages.com] Bite injury

Now it looks more like fungal to me, but I am not sure.

Has she been treated for mites? Any other signs of mites? You can buy monostat cream at any drug store to treat fungal.

No she has not been treated for mites. She does scratch few times a day. I will be taking her to the vet today in the morning to see what exactly is that. I am worried, though, because here it's so hard to find any vets that treat other animals besides dogs and cats.

If you treat one pig for mites the other will need to be treated too. Dont let the vet do a skin scrapping as it is painful for the pig and can be inconclusive.

If she's scratching hard at that particular place, I'd start with a treatment for mites. If she's not digging at it, I'd try a fungus treatment first, then treat for mites.

Do be aware, though, if she has mites and you put the fungus treatment on it, it may make the mites more active and the pig more miserable.

Also, one test for fungus, although it isn't a surefire one by any means, is to tug gently on a tuft of hair right around the lesion, and see if it comes out. That won't happen if it's mites.

I saw her scratching once in that particular place. I just tug near the lesion and very little fur came off. I might just have both treated for mites first and then fungal in ginger so she doesnt have to suffer more from the mites.

I just went to the vet and she said that that is a bite mark and gave Ginger a cream made of: Norfloxacin, Ketoconazol and Lidocaine. She said that all fungal infections are completely circular and does not look dry like the bald spot Ginger has. She also said that mites are not common in guinea pigs and that the scratching is like when humans scratch themselves for no reason.
After the cream, she gave both of them, something called Farnesol to treat parasites. While having Farnesol, both wheeked very very loud and hated the medicine. I am not sure if this cream and parasite treatment is good... at all.

Perhaps in your country mites are not common, but in the US mites are very, very common. Many people think that all guinea pigs have mites, but that usually the immune system keeps it in check.

All fungal infections are not completely circular. It does look fungal to me. Pigs often have both fungus and mites at the same time. If she were my pig, I would treat orally for mites with ivermectin and topically with a fungal cream like lotrimin.

I am now 100% sure that they have mites. It's just driving me CRAZY!!! Those mites just bit me all over my body and I am allergic to them, so now I am all red, full of bite marks. I am just so frustrated by this whole situation. I will definitely buy some ivermectin to treat them. How much should I give them? Ginger weighs 350 g, Penélope is 750 g.

No wonder they hated the Farnesol -- it's made with alcohol.

We'd have to know the strength of the ivermectin you can get to be able to tell you how to dose it -- it's comes in a number of strengths. It will say something like "X mg/Y ml."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.