Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Biting Bit hard and drew blood!

MaineMom

Cavy Slave
Chili tends to nibble a lot, always lightly though. She nibbles on the bars, on the hidey house (wooden) and the hay tunnel.

When we bring her "salad" into the room, she always comes up to the side of the cage and nibbles on the bar until she gets her food. Tonight we were about a half hour late with her dinner, and my daughter went up to say hello after coming home from being out all day. All I heard was a scream and crying and when she came downstairs, her finger was literally dripping blood...Chili had bit her finger HARD and punctured it.

I am thinking that it was just because she was hungry and she thought that her finger was food. But on the other hand, she always puts her finger through and rubs her chin when Chili comes to the side of the cage. So it's a bit unexpected as well.

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that this was probably a one-time incident and that Chili didn't mean to hurt her.

Otherwise, Chili seems fine and healthy - she was just at the vet a few days ago and got a perfect checkup.

I highly DOUBT Chili meant to hurt your daughter. I believe she was just hungry, since you mentioned it being past her regular dinnertime. Please don't worry, I believe it was most likely, just an unfortunate accident. :weepy: Give your daughter some hugs and kisses for me !❤️

Buttercup, my sweet affectionate, Buttercup bit me HARD, drew blood in the very beginning, and even left a bruise, when she was just a baby. She has not bitten me since ! She doesn't even "nip" me, which honestly, even the best piggies do on occasion when they are in a bad mood.

My other piggie queen Cuddles DOES still nip me once in awhile, especially if she is in heat, but she is a very "temperamental" type of piggie. However, most of the time she is very sweet and loving too. My girls have owned my heart for a year now.

I have that issue with my 2 month old. She does not bit my husband but some times when I am holding her or friends of mine she tends to bit harder. She drew blood on me twice this week. I thought it was just because she was still a baby.

Another reason your daughter may have gotten bit, was that she might have "startled" the baby piggy. Or it could just be age. Babies do tend to test things out by biting or nibbling but it is most likely a "phase" and will not last ! Here are a couple of links on biting for you to just "click out" and read. :cool:

Biting Guinea Pigs: What to Do

This link below is one of my favourites !

(broken link removed)

You also need to tell your daughter that poking her finger through the bars at the business of a guinea pig is a very good way to get bitten. A huge percentage of bites could be prevented if people just didn't put their fingers near guinea pig mouths.

It's kind of like with puppies -- people think it's so cute when the little bitty puppy gnaws on their fingers, and then get angry when the grown dog does the same thing.

If you can prevent the animal behavior by modifying your own, that's probably the way to go.

That said, the bite was no doubt an accident. But your daughter should pet the guinea pigs in the cage by reaching her hand into the cage from above rather than by sticking her fingers through the bars.

it sounds as if your piggy was expecting dinner. perhaps your daughter's hands had some sort of food scent on them and it confused your piggy?

as other people said, i would be careful sticking your finger through the bars. sometimes pigs let you pet them, other times they want to investigate what your finger is. one of my piggies always smells my finger when i put it in the cage, but my other one always comes up to the edge of my finger and opens her mouth to take a bite.

lastly, did your daughter do anything to cause the bite? sometimes we think it's cute to fiddle with their mouths. think of guinea pigs as young children- in order to figure out what something is, they taste and nibble and bite all over it. if i run my finger around my guinea pigs' mouths or pet their nose/mouth area, they grow extremely curious and open their mouth to take a bite. (however, if they manage to bite, it was a gentle nibble.) your guinea pig could have been really curious as to what your daughter's finger was, but due to being hungry, the bite was misjudged.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.