Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bird outside my window! Wanted Piggy?

ech90

Cavy Slave
Eek I live in an apartment building and there was a huge bird outside my window! I wonder if it somehow saw Piggy and that's what caught it's attention to come over? In all my years living here I've never seen a bird like that so up close. Piggy's cage isn't immediately next to the window but it's in that room!!

[video=youtube;DJsBNz1WWyY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJsBNz1WWyY&list=UU6eCOZlnSrc8qATO537K98Q& index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

jm_1234

Cavy Slave
wow thats a big bird. You have a beautiful view! Don't leave you windows open lol

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
"So up close and personal..." Close encounters of the 3rd kind! :D

We have birds come to our window all the time. A bird even smacked him/herself flying into our window before. (No window sill outside. LOL. What was that? Your impression of a Windex commercial?) Another built a nest on our porch! But they're all blue birds or robins, not falcons! That's crazy. I HAVE seen birds of prey in pictures on the forum before, but I'd probably still guess it's rare.

cibrown

Cavy Slave
That is an Osprey. They have similar prey as eagles. I talk in a school near an Osprey nest and a lake. My classroom was on the second floor. One day my students said that there is a bird outside with something in it's mouth. At first I thought they were joking but when I turned around I saw an Osprey with a fish in it's mouth. We have eagles here and have to watch that our dachshund doesn't get eaten. My husband has and a eagle flying just 5 feet over his head.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
I would have no doubt it was looking at your piggy. That would have made a nice dinner. Those birds have very sharp vision. You should cover the end of the cage so piggy can't be seen through the window, and yes, keep the window closed. Beautiful bird, though. That's one of the reasons I don't take my bunnies and GP's outside. We have hawks here, too, and they are so fast!

pinky

Cavy Slave
About a month ago, I had the blinds open and I noticed this cat watching my guinea pigs. It's a good thing I had the patio door shut because he came right up to the glass. We had a groundhog looking in one time, too.

IMG_0354.jpg

Crazy Cavies

Cavy Slave
We have a falcon in our neighborhood, and he has quietly been doing away with our squirrel population. We are definately NOT going to leave the window open. But it is cool to see an Osprey so up close!

GuineaPigLady_

Cavy Slave
Omg, that bird is probably hungry! Do what Petlovr said and cover your piggies from the view.

I remembered that a few years ago my grandmother used to gave meat to a bird like that in her window, and he visited her almost every day for some food. crazy!

ech90

Cavy Slave
The bird came back again!

Piggy and Lily (my cat) were taking a nap together on the couch in the living room this afternoon when I looked up and saw the bird again. This time it wasn't sitting directly outside of our window, but one floor above at kind of a 90 degree angle looking in at them. By the time I ran and got my camera it had turned it's head away, but at one point it was definitely staring directly at them.

Poor Lil and Piggy! Luckily they had no idea they were being stalked. I did cover Piggy's cage with a blanket but I don't want her to have to worry about becoming this bird's lunch every time I take her out. Loved all of your stories and especially that picture, Pinky. That cat looked like it was up to no good!

Photo 1

Photo 11

Also, no worries about that bird actually ever getting in. We have safety stoppers attached to our windows so they only open a few inches on each side. 28 floors would be a loong way to fall!

kananaka

Cavy Slave
WOW that is so crazy (cool but scary). A number of years ago I had parakeets that I used to set outside on the uncovered back porch in their cage on warm afternoons (we had huge shade trees). One day a huge osprey came swooping in to attack them and bumped into the cage, needless to say we all had a fright; my poor birds from almost being eaten, the osprey from hitting the cage, and me sitting on the couch near the sliding class door (that was open) 1st hearing then seeing all of this. EEK! My heart still races when I think about how they almost became lunch!

That is a mighty cute pic of piggy and kitty!

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
That is an Osprey. They have similar prey as eagles. I talk in a school near an Osprey nest and a lake. My classroom was on the second floor. One day my students said that there is a bird outside with something in it's mouth. At first I thought they were joking but when I turned around I saw an Osprey with a fish in it's mouth. We have eagles here and have to watch that our dachshund doesn't get eaten. My husband has and a eagle flying just 5 feet over his head.

I'd actually bet that's a Red-Tailed Hawk rather than an Osprey. It has the classic white throat/breast with the well-defined belly band. It also has dark eyes (probably an adult) and a yellow beak w/ black tip. They'd be interested in eating a guinea pig and in fact one of the piggies at our local rescue was almost eaten by one (a dog made the hawk drop it). Ospreys have generally white breasts/coverts with the band being at the collar. They have yellow eyes and black beaks. As you note they eat fish, so I doubt a piggy would be of interest.

[MENTION=21577]ech90[/MENTION] I am envious of your view! And what a great video! We have a couple of Coopers and Sharp-shins at our feeders, along with a resident Red-Shouldered. The pigs have actually frozen a couple of times when the hawks call. I get to look at the birdies but never have a camera at hand to get pictures!

pinky

Cavy Slave
The bird came back again!

Piggy and Lily (my cat) were taking a nap together on the couch in the living room this afternoon when I looked up and saw the bird again. This time it wasn't sitting directly outside of our window, but one floor above at kind of a 90 degree angle looking in at them. By the time I ran and got my camera it had turned it's head away, but at one point it was definitely staring directly at them.

Poor Lil and Piggy! Luckily they had no idea they were being stalked. I did cover Piggy's cage with a blanket but I don't want her to have to worry about becoming this bird's lunch every time I take her out. Loved all of your stories and especially that picture, Pinky. That cat looked like it was up to no good!

View attachment 27285

View attachment 27286

Also, no worries about that bird actually ever getting in. We have safety stoppers attached to our windows so they only open a few inches on each side. 28 floors would be a loong way to fall!

Your photo is so cute. I have a few friends whose cats and guinea pigs sleep together...... I thought the cat that was trying to get in my house was really zeroing in on my two males that were in perfect view from the deck. Rigatoni looks like a big, white rat.

ech90

Cavy Slave
Lil (the cat) never showed any interest in the piggies until after her sister, Sally, died. Now every time I take Piggy out for cuddle time she trots right over and snuggles right down next to her! Although she has gotten peed on a few times ;)

I honestly did not think Piggy would enjoy cuddling with a cat but she pancakes out and sometimes even closes her eyes a bit. It's kind of sweet how they have formed somewhat of a relationship, since they have both so recently lost their long time companions. Am still on the lookout for a friend of the same species for Piggy though!

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I love the kitty and piggy nap. Scary about the bird, but not surprising. We live in an area with lots of preserve land, and we have lots of birds of prey, including the occasional eagle. One night I was walking on the preserve paths with my neighbors, who had a tiny dog. An owl followed us for most fo the distance, no doubt thinking "Step away from that snack..er, dog" the whole time.

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
First - super cool video of that bird! I live in an area where red tailed hawks abound and that definitely looks different, his head seems smaller...so cool...as long as he's not in your house :)

Second - beautiful view!

Third - hello cute cute cute piggy and kitty picture!

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
One night I was walking on the preserve paths with my neighbors, who had a tiny dog. An owl followed us for most fo the distance, no doubt thinking "Step away from that snack..er, dog" the whole time.

We are Owl people -- you are so lucky!!! Not about the poor tiny dog-potential snack, but owl visits are the best!

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
We are Owl people -- you are so lucky!!! Not about the poor tiny dog-potential snack, but owl visits are the best!
Amen! The owls here are gorgeous, and I go crazy when I spot a bald eagle. We have gators, armadillos, lizards, frogs, cranes, deer, and a whole host of other wildlife that reminds me I'm a long way from Chicago now.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Amen! The owls here are gorgeous, and I go crazy when I spot a bald eagle. We have gators, armadillos, lizards, frogs, cranes, deer, and a whole host of other wildlife that reminds me I'm a long way from Chicago now.

I live in the Carol Stream-Wheaton area and we have deer that walk along Geneva Rd. One 4th of July, as we were on our way to the parade, we saw a full sized buck in the middle of the road near Geneva and Gary. A couple of years ago, we had a young deer on our front lawn when we pulled into our driveway. It ran into our yard and started chewing on my roses. We also have a lot of coyotes, hawks, owls, groundhogs, skunks. Palos Hills has an eagle nest that can be easily viewed by the public. No gators or armadillos, though.....

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Palos Hills isn't too far from where I used to live. Although our condo wasn't too rural, I boarded my horse in Tinley Park and saw deer, foxes, coyotes, and some other cool wildlife when I used to ride out there years ago. The deer would come out and hang around the barn in the evening because the people who live at the edge of woods used to feed them. They were larger than the ones we have here in FL.

ech90

Cavy Slave
There are strange things happening outside the window in the living room. Today there is a tear in the screen and we have no idea where it came from. Well maybe we have an idea - we think it was the bird. Now I don't want to make unfair accusations because nobody saw it do it but seriously...what else would have made this tear? None of our other screens have any issues! Does anyone know if the bird's nails would be sharp enough to do this? I do think it is a red tailed hawk because it was flying around down by the trees and it had a reddish looking thing by its bottom. Argh I don't know why this bird is stalking us. It was cute at first but not if it's going to cause damage! Even though I covered up Piggy's cage, thinking of moving her into my room...

Photo 8

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.