Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Biggest shock of my life

Cavies_4_ever

Cavy Slave
Ok, so I have a big problem. I came back home today then went to go check on my guinea pigs. I saw a baby guinea pig scuttering across the cage! At this point, I just stood there stunned. I finally came to my senses and immediately separated the parent piggies. As it turns out, Browny is a female. I also discovered two other pups but they weren't breathing or moving, so I assumed there were dead. There is only one little survivor of the whole litter. I feel absolutely terrible as I had no idea that Browny was pregnant, let alone female because I sexed her when I adopted her and I was so sure "she" was a male! The bottom of her fur is red with blood, probably from giving birth. Would it hurt to give her a bath?
Also, what extra care should I provide? I know they need alfalfa pellets or hay so I'll get those tomorrow but is there anything else?
Also, I removed the male as quickly as I could but I'm not sure if they had a chance to mate before I did that. I'm not sure what I would do if Browny became pregnant again!

If anyone could offer advice or help, it would be so appreciated! Thanks!

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
I suggest neutering the male. Also put the male in a different cage far away from the female if you put them next to each other the male will stop at nothing to escape his cage and get into Brownie's cage. Thats all the advice I have

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They definitely had a chance to mate -- they do so minutes after birth, so she's probably pregnant again. That's very hard on sows and the second litter of pups, so you'll have to be extra careful about her diet while she's pregnant.

No, don't bathe her. She'll clean herself up.

She and the pup need an extra calcium source, and either alfalfa hay OR alfalfa pellets will work for that, but you don't need both. It's probably easier just to feed all the pigs timothy hay and give mom and pup the alfalfa pellets.

They'll both need unlimited pellets, and good vegetables with vitamin C, particularly bell pepper. Here's a list of what they can and can't eat, and how often: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List

If the pup is a male, you'll have to separate him at 21 days. He may try to mount her before then, but he's too little to do any damage.

If the cages are next to each other, put a lid on the female's cage. A determined male can lift the lid on his own cage and squirm out, but he can't pry up the lid on another cage.

Cavies_4_ever

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your replies.
I have put the dad in a dog crate for now and there is no chance of him escaping. The mom and the baby are in a 2×5 C&C cage. I'm pretty sure the baby is a male, but I will definitely try to sex him again before he turns 21 days old. I'm probably going to keep him with his dad if he is male and with his mom if he is actually turns out to be a she.
I only have the both of them in the cage so it will be easy to feed them alfalfa pellets. Oxbow Cavy Performance should do, right?
I have given them some veggies and I'll make sure to give them some high in protein. I already give bell peppers everyday.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Yes. Oxbow Cavy Performance is alfalfa based.

miniver

Cavy Slave
That would be a shock! Post some pictures of the baby. We all love baby piggy pictures.

Cavies_4_ever

Cavy Slave
IMG_0891.jpg
IMG_0892.jpgIMG_0893.jpg

Cavies_4_ever

Cavy Slave
Oops. Sorry, I don't know why all my pics come out sideways. Anyway, that is the new baby :)
We have named him Butterscotch Ruffles. He looks exactly like his dad:
00i0i_cwcBLmqqZnW_600x450.jpg

rotto77

Cavy Slave
OMG, I can only imagine. (as my wife is double checking our new girl) the pictures of the baby are so cute.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
The surprise baby is adorable!

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I know he was a shock but look at that face lol, he's gorgeous . Congrats !!

Cavies_4_ever

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone!
He is just so small! I picked him up yesterday and he fit in the palm of my hand. I weighed him and he is only about 55 grams. Is this normal? He has been nibbling on hay and grass, but he hasn't really tried pellets yet. Also, I don't think he knows how to use his water bottle yet, which isn't that big of a deal right now as he's nursing, but at what stage should he be only drinking from the bottle?

Cavies_4_ever

Cavy Slave
Also, can anyone tell what sex the baby is from the pictures? I'm starting to lean towards female, but I'm really not sure. Thanks.IMG_0258.jpg

Cavies_4_ever

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I meant to say male, not female.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It'll be much easier to sex him/her in a couple of weeks.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Can't see his private part from that pic. I can only see his belly button.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Cant see the genitals from that picture all is see is the belly button as lissie said above your hand is covering the genitals in this picture

Last edited:

Cavies_4_ever

Cavy Slave
Sorry for the bad pics everyone. I took a better one. Now that the baby is a week old, it's a bit easier to tell the sex. "It" actually looks like a female to me. What do you guys think?IMG_0284.jpg

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I agree with you, but the coloring makes it hard to tell for sure from the picture.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You need to take the picture with the light on the genitals. It's very hard to tell in the shadow.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.