Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? Better to live alone or buy guinea pig?

strngwbby

Cavy Slave
Hello all, I recently (a couple of weeks ago) found and kept a guinea pig. He has been doing great, he is healthy and energetic. I have been looking into getting him a friend but there are no guinea pigs up for adoption around me. I recently sent an email to a craigslist post about a possible adoption but he is four hours away. Here are my questions, is 4 hours too far to drive with a guinea pig (he will be in a cage)? And if I am unable to get him would it be better to buy a guinea pig from the store (really don't want to) or keep my guy friendless for the foreseeable future while I continue to look for an adoptable? Thanks for your help.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I would say buy a guinea pig.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Oops! I didn't mean buy a pig from somewhere like petsmart. I meant if there was NO OTHER OPTION, buy from a responsible breeder. The pig shouldn't have to suffer alone it's entire life.

strngwbby

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the input. The only option I would have as far a buying goes is through the newly opened Petco, the mom and pop pet shops only sell rats and ferrets as far as small animals goes. A few years ago I wouldn't have thought twice about buying one from a store but I've since realized its just as bad a buying a dog or a cat from a store, which I would never think to do. I will keep crossing my fingers about the craigslist ad I responded to and keep my eyes peeled for other options.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
you can also post want ads on craigslist, go onto facebook and poke around the guinea pig groups to see who is looking to rehome pigs, also check the local pet shops for returned/no longer wanted pigs. My petco has adoptable animals from time to time. I don't think 4 hours is too far. I just drove four hours yesterday to pick up my pigs :O)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.