Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? Better to have a odd or even number of boars?

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'm thinking about getting another boar for my two guys.
I was going to get just one but just read somewhere on here that they find it is better to have an even number of boars instead of odd. Is that true or does it not matter?

Thanks!

I dont think it matters it was prob an opinion from someone on here

I don't think that's true, it depends on personality and the size of cage you have, not if it's an even or odd number.

I've only had pairs of males and they've always gotten along. I've found that my female pairs get along better than my trios have. From what I've observed with mine, there's always a dominant one in the pair and as long as the other one accepts it, they end up as a bonded pair. In my trios, there always seems to be an attempt by the two lower ranked ones to move up a notch. More squabbling going on and swift action by the dominant one to punish the lower ranked ones that overstep their bounds. I prefer pairs to trios or herds.

Does anyone have a trio or herd of boars? It would be great to hear their perspectives.

I have 3. They get on great. Two are younger brothers, the other unrelated. The oldest is the dominant one, but they never fight.

the only experience i have is with my own pigs. i have three males, 2 of whom are seniors, in one cage and a male/spayed female pair in he other. the 3 boys tend to squabble from time to time, thought there is clearly one pig in charge. even when there were only two males, there was squabbling. i think it all depends on the personality of the pig AND the dynamics of he herd. the pig in charge surprised me, because when i adopted him i was told he was sweet and gentle and an "older guy". since coming to me and my herd, he's apparently gotten his second wind, and is energetic and full of himself - i guess he's come out of retirement. so, even though he was sweet and gentle in his last herd, he isn't with the one he's in now - though he's not mean, just bossy.

I just recently added a third boar to my other two. We've had the common dominance dance, mostly from my middle pig Sweetie pig, but nothing horrible. I had two four month old boars, and we added a 5 week old. They seem to get along fine, and I've seen them all popcorning around. We just kept a really good eye on Elivs (the 5 weeker) to make sure no one was getting too aggressive.

My boys are 1 and a half years old, What is the best age male piggy I should get? I've been thinking younger but would it be better to do older?
I think If find a male piggy to adopt then I'll get him And If It doesn't work out I've been thinking I'll sperate a bit of the cage for him. That way He won't get lonely but they can't fight. :)
Thanks so much for everyone's replys!

If I'm not mistaken, I think the general rule is that the younger tend to adapt a little quicker than the older pigs. I don't know that for sure, so one of the more experienced owners may have to help you out there. I do know that younger worked out better for us, but I don't really have anything to compare it to since my older pigs were bought together, and the baby was adopted at a later time.

@AliciaS - you may absolutely be right. the only caution i'd throw in is that puberty is a really tough times for boys - they can get aggressive and irritable. sometimes, even though they have gotten along with their cage mate, when puberty hits, there may be more dominance stuff, fighting, etc.

the only experience i have is with my own pigs. i have three males, 2 of whom are seniors, in one cage and a male/spayed female pair in he other. the 3 boys tend to squabble from time to time, thought there is clearly one pig in charge. even when there were only two males, there was squabbling. i think it all depends on the personality of the pig AND the dynamics of he herd. the pig in charge surprised me, because when i adopted him i was told he was sweet and gentle and an "older guy". since coming to me and my herd, he's apparently gotten his second wind, and is energetic and full of himself - i guess he's come out of retirement. so, even though he was sweet and gentle in his last herd, he isn't with the one he's in now - though he's not mean, just bossy.

can you message me? I'm about to introduce a nuderd male in like two mouths to my two bounded females and i have some Q's about it and i dont wanna take over this post, thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.