Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Best Type/Brand of Hay to Buy

Becky Tolle

Cavy Slave
I am trying to find the best type/brand of hay for my piggies. I bought Vitakraft Timothy Sweet Grass Hay and my piggies loved it, but there was a lot of dust. I had heard Oxbow was a good brand, so I bought a box of Oxbow Animal Health Western Timothy Hay and it doesn't seem as fresh and green and my piggies are NOT loving it. Please let me know the Brand and Type of hay that you use so I can try out something new for my piggies!

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
KMS has really great hay. Their shipping prices may seem a bit intimidating, but in the end it's more or less the same as any other brand. (especially considering the most other hay comes in smaller bundles) Trying to find a local farmer is also a great option in terms of price, but if you can't find any good quality hay near you, I'd definitely go with KMS.

cavycrazy1107

Cavy Gazer
I use the brand Forti-Diet and my piggies enjoy it, though there's still some dust, but not as much as other brands. One of my favorite brands would be Mazuri. They make pellets and hay and my piggies loved it. Something you could try would be going to a tractor supply store and buying a bale of hay. As long as it is Timothy Hay and good quality it can be great. There's rarely dust and as long as it is stored in doors and in a cool and dry place then it is great and last longer than most brands of hay you buy at pet stores. Other than that, just try a variety of brands until you find one that both you and your furbabies enjoy. Good Luck! :D

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Brands of hay don't really mean much. The quality of the hay has much more to do with the growing/harvesting conditions where the farmer is than with which company buys and distributes the hay. The best thing to do is a little research about where the various online companies are located and where they get their hay, and what the growing conditions have been like. That way, you can come closer to ordering from an area that's had good hay for that year, rather than, say, a state that's been in drought for months.

The exception to the above rule is hay packaged in small bags and sold in pet stores. That stuff is almost always pretty crappy, as it sits in a warehouse and dries totally out before it makes it onto the shelves. So besides being many times more expensive than online or local farmer stuff, it's usually far poorer quality.

That being said, I've never gotten hay that I've been disappointed with from either American Pet Diner or Small Pet Select.

Aislinn

Cavy Slave
I buy our hay, pellets, most of the treats, from a family farm in Massachusetts, called Sweet Meadow Farm. They have great quality products, and are extremely helpful and accommodating. I have only gotten one bale from them that I have ever had a problem with, (a burr bush was in it) but all I had to do was email them about it, and not only did they give me a full refund, but they were sweet enough to add a bunch of free goodies, in our next order! I particularly love their vitamin c tidbits, but right now, they have none in stock, because the company that pressed and packaged them dropped their contract, and they're currently looking for a new way to get them made. But, their stuff is great, and my sows, and my sister's rabbit, love their stuff!