Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stands Best Height?

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'll be making Trixie's C&C cage in my bedroom and was wondering what is the best height? Should It go just on the floor or sitting ontop of one grid or two girds? What do you do and perfer?

Thanks!

my husband built me a stand for my 3x3 cage. I'm a shorty at 5'3" and needed to be able to reach the back so he built the legs at 14 or 15 inches so I could put a few cubes for storage under there and then with the top I would say it's no more than 16 inches high and I can reach the back. They do like it better on the stand than they did in the floor and come out more often and don't run when someone walks in. I recommend a stand for sure.

Will It be okay If I make the cage on the ground? As I am thinking of adopting a few friends for her and making the cage 3 or 4 girds wide and 3 - 6 girds long. Is it okay to have them on the floor?

Having them on the floor is fine as long as there is no draft.

I would either have them on the floor, or 2 grids high so you can sweep in a standing position.
I currently have a 1 grid stand and it's murder for my back, I would rather crawl on the floor than bend my back like this every day.

Okay, I just don't want it to get to hard to clean.

I have my cages on the floor and love it! It's easy to clean this way because it takes up the whole dinning room:D! You can check it out on my profile page. The main thing is to make the cage work for both you and your piggies.

I would either have them on the floor, or 2 grids high so you can sweep in a standing position.
I currently have a 1 grid stand and it's murder for my back, I would rather crawl on the floor than bend my back like this every day.

This depends on how tall you are. I'm about 5'4"/5'5" and with the stand at 2 grids high, I couldn't reach the back properly. Cleaning etc was almost impossible.

My current cage is 1 grid high and I do have to bed over, which my back does not like, but I can reach all of the cage.

I've also had my cage on the floor. I would say this was the one I liked the best. I used to sit in the cage with the pigs, both to clean the cage and to just "hang out" with them. It was super easy to reach all the nooks and crannies of the cage. I only switched to a one grid high cage because I have rabbits now, and I didn't want them in the guinea pigs' cage!

This depends on how tall you are. I'm about 5'4"/5'5" and with the stand at 2 grids high, I couldn't reach the back properly. Cleaning etc was almost impossible.

My current cage is 1 grid high and I do have to bed over, which my back does not like, but I can reach all of the cage.

I've also had my cage on the floor. I would say this was the one I liked the best. I used to sit in the cage with the pigs, both to clean the cage and to just "hang out" with them. It was super easy to reach all the nooks and crannies of the cage. I only switched to a one grid high cage because I have rabbits now, and I didn't want them in the guinea pigs' cage!

That reminds me of lissies cage picture, where she's cut the front grids 3 holes shorter for better reach.
2x6 cage for 3 boys - Guinea Pig Cage Photos
I have cubes in plastic that are in that half/rectangular shape which I will use when raising the cage, though I'm quite tall. They come in a set of full grids as well.

That looks fantastic, if your pigs aren't the climbing type! Whenever I see cages with the cut down grids, or sometimes with no grids and just highish coroplast, I'm amazed that other people's pigs don't climb! One of my pigs in particular is so keen to get food/head pat/centre of attention that she climbs up the grids of the cage.

That looks fantastic, if your pigs aren't the climbing type! Whenever I see cages with the cut down grids, or sometimes with no grids and just highish coroplast, I'm amazed that other people's pigs don't climb! One of my pigs in particular is so keen to get food/head pat/centre of attention that she climbs up the grids of the cage.

Another solution is to make the front fold down with zip ties & clips at the side, so you just unclip it when you need to clean & sweep?

Another solution is to make the front fold down with zip ties & clips at the side, so you just unclip it when you need to clean & sweep?

That is a very good idea! I think I'll try one grid high and if It is to hard I'll change it to just on the floor.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.