Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference Best excuse ever to buy new boots

butters

Cavy Slave
Ok so everyone may know this already... however, in case you don't I thought i'd post it. This is a slight variation on the well-known overturned shoebox hidey...

I always hate the mess it makes on the floor if you just turn a boot/shoebox upside down and cut out a door... so what I did, was just put the box on the floor (not flipped over, so the cardboard was on the floor, and bent the lid of the box to make a sort of curve-shaped roof. I cut a little slit for the door (but kept it attached so I can pick up the box without the hay going everywhere). This way, we can look easily into the box and make sure everyone's ok, there's enough air to vent out any pee-smells and ward off some bacteria, and it's really easy to clean and keep the surroundings clean as well.

My piggies LOVE it. They go in, do their business (that's right... NO more poops on the kitchen floor), both of them can fit comfortably for a nap, and Milka can dig around under the hay without it going everywhere.

I can't get my camera to work but i'll try and post up a few pictures.

Doesn't the cardboard get wet?

Oh right, forgot to add that :) I simply put newspaper on the bottom. Then when the kids are done, I pick up the whole thing, change the newspaper and hay if necessary, put the top off so it can completely air, and it tucks away nicely and mess free. yay!

So far I've been using the same shoe box for three weeks, and no mess on the actual cardboard yet :)

[GuineaPigCages.com] Best excuse ever to buy new boots

Here's a photo from last week (sorry for the mess). not exactly helpful but probably better than my random explanations ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.