Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Best Bedding to use other then Fleece

cdavie89
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
I'd say Carefresh would be best, even though it's more pricey. A lot of people recommend Aspen as a cheaper alternative, however personally I just don't like the stuff. Way too dusty and makes the pigs sneeze, they tend to eat it which is a big no-no. Plus it doesn't seem to do anything for odor, and doesn't hold liquids like Carefresh does, so when you do the full clean at least once a week there's lots of mess on the coroplast.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
In my ones kichen areas I use Aspen then carefresh on top, the Aspen I get isn't dusty but the carefresh is very dusty. I suppose it's different per every bag but nearly all of my carefresh bags have been dusty, so I do prefer aspen as mine isn't dusty and also because it is cheaper. But it's a personal choice. My boys atucally dig to get to the Aspen as they like lying down on it more then the carefresh for some reason. >.<

So I'd say either Carefresh or Aspen.

cdavie89

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
I had some success with wood pellets.

Like these:
Amazon.com: Kaytee Wood Pellets Litter, 25-Pound Bag: Pet Supplies

But I got mine from the my local farmers co op for a fraction of this price. I got a 20 lb bag for $10.
Only issue was that they were super heavy
Loved the smell. They were easy to spot clean.
And the boys seems to really like running through them because of racket it created.
But the bigger my cage got the easier it was to use fleece.

If you go this route, make sure they are plain pellets and not ones treated with some type of acceleration for burning in wood stoves, etc.

cdavie89

ZenMama

Cavy Slave
I would try a couple of different types. When Gretel and Chelsea came home with us, we were given a big bag of wood shavings, I can't remember what kind. When that ran out, I tried a couple of others, and then tried carefresh. I didn't love any of them. Carefresh got kicked out of the cage a lot, and ended up all over the house. How big is your cage?

cdavie89

LithiumRiot

Cavy Slave
I personally liked Kaytee Clean and Cozy before I used fleece. As long as it's the unscented kind. It's cheaper than Carefresh and it's reallllyy soft.

cdavie89

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I know you said you aren't ready to get into fleece yet, but if it has to do with cost, you can find fleece for really really cheap if you look hard enough.

You can get fleece and towels for less then 10$. That would save lots of money.

Sirkowskii

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs really liked Aspen we had for them but for my sanity we changed over to Carefresh. We haven't had a problem with the Carefresh getting all over, we had more of a problem with Aspen.

cdavie89

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.