Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bessie had a baby!

PiggyPoP

Cavy Slave
I adopted two sow pig's from a so called "animal rescue" that I found advertising that they had guinea pigs and rabbits to re-home.They said Ruby and Bessie were sisters. I have checked and reconfirmed this to be true (that they are female that is). I have had these sweet girls for around 52 days. Last night I went into their room to tell them good night and refill the hay rack and I saw 3 piggy's instead of 2! There was a little baby guinea pig running around the cage with Ruby and Bessie! I almost passed out! I checked both girls and it seems Bessie is the mother. What do I do now to insure this little baby stays safe and healthy? I also dont know if it should stay with both girls or if I need to make another C&C cage?

Last edited:
Congradulations! Your new baby can stay with both mother and Aunt. Make sure your cage is babyproofed so the baby cannot get thru the grids. You can put in cardboard so it blocks the grids or if you have extra grids overlap the grids so the baby cannot get threw.

Momma will need extra calcium. You can feed pellets with alfalfa or mix in alfafa hay. Extra veggies. Baby will eat pellets, veggies and hay as well as drinking from the mother.
Wouild love to see pictures. There are many members on here who have had babies and they too will help you.

Surprise! Congrats...I think. Do you know if the baby is a male or female yet? Personally I would keep it. If its a female you could house it with the mom and her sis. If its a male and you have a c&c cage then you could just extend it with a high partition and make room for him. I say high because males have been known to climb that single grid partition. Good Luck! I would love to see pics!

That is super awesome!!! I wish mine would have a baby!! lol Any way congratulations!!!
Sounds like you have alot of baby proofing to do!!! Good Luck!!

Thank you all for the help!:) Here is Bessie and baby... [GuineaPigCages.com] Bessie had a baby![GuineaPigCages.com] Bessie had a baby!

The baby looks to be a girl...will keep checking often! haha

He's adorable. I love agoutis.

What a cute little thing! Congradulations!

She is just too cute! That would be great if she is a girl. Congrats!

what a surpize.. congrats and baby and mommy are just to sweet.

Aww, just adorable! Congrats!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.