Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Loss Beloved Piggie loss & unsure of cause; please help us!!!

brandishae0814

Cavy Gazer
Our sweet girl, Tonks, was only 3. She lived alone in a 2x5 cage, plenty of bedding and hay. Had been eating and drinking well, felt fat as always. 2 nights ago, just as always my daughter said 'babydoll, I'm home!' And you could hear that sweet squeaking all the way downstairs for her. Every morning before school (and after school and at night) she would run and play on my 16yo daughters bed, so she exercised plenty. She seemed perfect 2 nights ago. I hear a scream the next morning. When I picked her up, she was barely cold. After Kenzie left for school, I checked her over. No obvious trauma. Eyes seemed fine. No hay near urethra. Ears clean. No mites I could see. I did find a semi mushy (mostly solid tho) food pellet in her mouth still. I couldn't bring myself to look for more. I wrapped her like a baby and found a box for her. We've had her since she was a baby and she's never been sick. I'm sorry for this heartbroken rant. Thanks if you made it this far. ANY ideas of what could have happened? I want to ease my daughter's guilt and also prevent issues when we heal enough to love another Piggie later. I don't think I can afford (or have anyone here to do) a necropsy. Please help us.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you lost her.

Without the necropsy, there's really no way to know what happened. Guinea pigs can have heart disease, so that may have contributed. Or she may have succumbed to an overwhelming infection -- they can go from well to dead in less than 24 hours.

brandishae0814

Cavy Gazer
I do appreciate everyone's opinion. She was squeaking and playful and seemed so happy...then it seems gone just 3 or 4 hours later because when I held her 8 hours later she was still warm. I just worried she had choked since I found food in her mouth, but also realized it could have just been there or come back up when she succumbed to whatever happened. That little fat turd (we always called her that, unsure how it started, lol) knew love from minute one, I can promise you that. I never would have believed that they can show as much personality as cats and dogs, but we always knew what she wanted immediately. Sassy, sweet girl. I'm sorry for your loss as well. We are all dying to hold and have another, but it's not her so it won't work for now. In time, perhaps. :)

My deepest sympathy to both you and your daughter on the loss of your precious piggie. I know there is little that I can say to help you ease your grief but may it give you some comfort to know that I lost a pig the same way. My first pig Brownie was fine when I left for work and upon my return at the end of the day she was gone. There was no sign of illness or anything unusual during the week before her death. Since I was working for a veterinarian he offered to do a necropsy, without any organ samples being sent to the lab for evaluation. During his examination he noticed that her heart was unusually large for a guinea pig. In his medical opinion she most likely suffered a heart attack. He told me that it most likely hit her very quickly and that she didn't suffer.

For your description of how you found Tonks, it sounds like she possibly also had a heart attack. I know this sounds like a very weak comment but I hope it comforts you to know that she was not sick and suffering for a long time. She knew love and care from her owners and enjoyed a wonderful life. No piggie could ask for more.

Rest in peace sweet piggie. :love:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.