Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vision Belle is terrified of my new hair color.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Well I hennaed my hair yesterday and it's now a bright red. As I was feeding my girls breakfast this morning, both ran up to the side of the cage as usual. But when I stepped into the daylight where henna is the most "glowing", my poor girl widened her eyes, backed away & ran to hide. She now wants nothing to do with me what so ever, or the food I feed if I'm around. She has no issues with my boyfriend where she acts normal.

Has this happened to anyone else, with either color, makeup, hats or clothes? :sorry: Found it quite funny at first, but I'm getting concerned now.

It also could be the smell. Henna has a very distinct smell, it is hay like but not the same as hay.

I use henna in my hair but I've been using it for so long it's a dark mahogany...wait a few days for it to oxidize and darken.

That was my first thought. But I was spending a lot of time in their room with the henna on my head, even dripping some on their fleece while sweeping. No reaction to the smell at all.

Yep, traffic cone red in the sun, can't wait for oxidation. I used HennaSooq's Red Raj with a lawsone content of 3.22%, so it's not bozo orange at all thankfully.

To keep the drippies at bay, get some paper towel, or that cotton batting they use at the salon, wrap it around your hair line, cover it with saran wrap and a toque and you're all good.

I had both saran wrap, a shower cap & a towel over my head & shoulders. No dripping at first, so I went by the *logic* "Oh, maybe it's a bit too thick!" & sprayed it with a mister. :expressio Horrible mistake. I even have henna stains in my ear canal.

It's enough that I step into the room now. While she doesn't run, she gives me a funny look.

Most animals see black and white, I wonder if guineas are the same. If not then maybe the new color makes them think you are a stranger.

per Guinea Lynx:
While guinea pig vision is relatively poor, a guinea pig can distinguish colors.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.