Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescues Bella gave birth

CrazyCavies

Cavy Slave
Bella, one of the rescue sows I took in last weekend gave birth about an hour ago, and although there are 2 healthy babies that weigh in at 103g and 74g she also expelled 2 half-formed and semi-decomposed foetuses. I hate this so much, that people can't understand why there's so much risk in breeding. Mommy's also been bleeding lightly since then, she's lively and eating, though, and my vet said that she should stop within the next half hour to hour, otherwise I'll take her to him right away.

I'm just really shaken by this, and not looking forward to the 3 remaining pregnant sows throwing curve balls like this :weepy:

This is Bella and her two babies:
[GuineaPigCages.com] Bella gave birth

Bella, one of the rescue sows I took in last weekend gave birth about an hour ago, and although there are 2 healthy babies that weigh in at 103g and 74g she also expelled 2 half-formed and semi-decomposed foetuses. I hate this so much, that people can't understand why there's so much risk in breeding. Mommy's also been bleeding lightly since then, she's lively and eating, though, and my vet said that she should stop within the next half hour to hour, otherwise I'll take her to him right away.

I'm just really shaken by this, and not looking forward to the 3 remaining pregnant sows throwing curve balls like this :weepy:

This is Bella and her two babies:
View attachment 24605

I am so glad 2 births went well. So sorry 2 did not. The two are just adorable.
Keep us posted on mama. Hope all goes well.

Sorry, I see the thread posted twice!

I see the thread posted twice as well. Technical error?

I am so sorry that happened to Bella! Sounds like their were two miscarriages that didn't get quite flushed away before she was ready to deliver the other two. :(

The public needs to be educated about cavy care. It drives me crazy when someone thinks there is something wrong with their pet and they don't have any idea why. (ie: a hamster sleeping all day, go figure! or a lonely piggy, umm- you must have 2? or a lady in my area selling an exercise ball- for a piggy?!) If you're really interested in getting a pet, do your homework first. I absolutely agree with you.

If I had the ability and the resources, I'd look into going into schools and libraries with my cavies (not that I have any... yet!) and/or video footage of cavies at home and talking to the students about the importance of good care for your pets. As it is, I think I'm going to add to the increasing number of educational videos on You Tube when I do get my cavies. I want to do my part not only to learn but to educate. :)

Aww they have the coloring of Mommy! Sorry to hear of the 2 still borns, I know it has to be heart breaking. Hope Mom and babies continue to do well. Keep us posted!

These bubs are so cute! Bella is also the most chilled little piggy I've ever met, I'm so used to rescues being super skittish and taking a lot of work to tame just a little, she fell asleep with me in bed this morning! She was jumping and running in her cage this morning, so she's clearly feeling much better than she did yesterday... here's a piccie of her snuggling with her pups in a cuddle cup this morning:

[GuineaPigCages.com] Bella gave birth

Sorry and the still borns. glad the 2 others are doing well..Love the pigture of the babies laying with the mama

sorry to hear about the two that didnt go well :( but congratulations to the other two babies they are adorable and look just like their mumma. the picture of them lying with their mums is to die for they are so cute.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.