Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding and the garden

A4PigHome

Cavy Slave
I've read somewhere that some people use soiled pet bedding, like Carefresh, in their gardens around their flowers and bushes to help prevent weeds from coming up, etc.

So my question is can you use it in the veggie garden? We are going to put in a pumpkin garden, but due to the slant of the yard, we need to build up the one side. So can I use the used cavy bedding in the bottom as a fill alternative?

Also, can I put the used bedding in my compost site? I'm trying to find places to put it other than my garbage can.

guineagurl

Cavy Slave
I can't see why not, it would make for a great fertiliser and filler too. Just make sure you dig it in so the wind dosent blow it away.
But if your putting it in a vegie garden, I'd give it all time to settle in before planting on it, the poops/pee etc may be too strong at 1st and burn whatever is trying to grow.

A4PigHome

Cavy Slave
I got a chuckle thinking about dumping it on a windy day. I could just see it blowing into my neighbor's yard. He's always teasing me because we feed peanuts to a squirrel who then buries them in his yard.

I'll be curious to see if the "extra fertilizer" helps grow bigger pumpkins! Thanks for your help!

guineagurl

Cavy Slave
No worries!

Also, you could allways compost it first with other household scraps and some worms and then when its composted down, then add it to the garden so its not so strong....your garden will thank you!

Cherryrosed

Cavy Slave
My piggies' litter always has hay in it. Wouldn't the hay seeds cause grass to grow in the garden?

Denise

Cavy Slave
Hubby and I were just talking about this the other day. We didn't know if it would be ok for the veggie garden either. We use pine and/or aspen and the bags say it's ok for that, but I would really like to know for sure. Teresa? Ly? Treen?

kacey
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.