Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications Baytril question

WeeBeastieLove

Cavy Slave
Hello,
I am new here. I have been lurking for a while. I hope I can find some advice/commiseration.

I adopted Whistle about one month ago. He is about 3 years old and a very sweet little guy. He needed a loving home w/ lots of attention and he gets it here.

My qestion about Baytril . . . Well, the vet put him on a 10 day dosage. His feet have been bright red with some peeling since he came home with me. I tried treating them myself per advice from another guinea pig lover who I know. I know it can be common. My piggie did not get a lot of exercise before and I have no idea what his cage conditions were. When I used carefresh (I have just started using fleece and hope this helps) I spot cleaned 3 times a day and did a whole cleaning once a week. Feet would not get better, thus the visit to the vet.

After his 3rd dosage his poops became less and less. He still poops relatively normal poops, just not as much. I could barely sleep last night! I kept looking into his cage to see if he had pooped. It had been HOURS but finally this morning there were a few. He is eathing and drinking more or less normally. During the night I decided I wanted to end his Baytril dosages. That would leave him at 5 days of Baytril. I always try to decide if the benefits outweigh the risks when I take medicine and when my kids do. I am not sure they outweigh the risks in this situation. His feet have not changed that much. Less peeling, that is all. But that could be b/c he is not on carefresh which could be drying. However, today he did do some poop so I am waffling.

Thoughts? I did talk to the vet yesterday, but she said to just keep an eye on him.

Any thought? I love my little dude and can't bear the idea of hurting him!

Why was he given the Baytril? Was it for his feet, or for another condition?

For the feet. I m wondering if he ever needed it this point. Yes they were very red, but maybe not infected?

Wow! My 3 year old just called me into the living room to point out the poop. He did SOOOO much this morning. SO am I worrying for nothing? Seems like it, right?

Redness and swelling can indicate infection in bumblefoot, so he likely needed the antibiotic. Since he pooped ok, I'd probably continue the Baytril, but give him a probiotic an hour or so after he takes it.

Benebac is a good one, and you can also give human acidophilus tablets -- crush them and sprinkle them over his food.

Are you weighing him daily? You'll need to know if he's losing weight while taking the Baytril. If he is, you can get some Critical Care from the vet, or some Critter Be Better from a store, or soak his pellets into a mash. All of those would have to be syringe fed, but he definitely needs to keep eating his usual amount.

Thank you! I will do all that. he is having his breakfast right now. I sprinkled about a 1/4 of a tablet on his pellets. we'll see if that helps.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.