Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Baytril for young guinea pig? How bad?

lemonham

Cavy Slave
When Penelope was 3 weeks old she was dropped off on the porch of an animal rescue and developed a URI. The rescue didn't think she'd make it the first night so they gave her Baytril which may have saved her life. She was on it for one week because it is what they had on hand. When she went to the vet they put her on Bactrim (for her URI and missing toe) because Baytril isn't recommended for young guinea pigs. It can "interfere with proper growth."

Does anyone have any more information of its effects on young guinea pigs? Any experience? Penelope is about 2.5 months and 446 g. Nothing I can do about it now, but I just want to know what to look for.

Here's the pic of when I first adopted her.
Baytril for young guinea pig?  How bad?

Baytril has been known to cause problems if taken during the phase of an young animal's life when rapid growth is occurring. In dogs, problems have been reported with cartilage in the joints, and with weakness in the hind quarters.

More problems have been reported in dogs than in cats, and in big dogs more often than small dogs. So possibly the weight of the animal also has something to do with it. In that case, Penelope shouldn't be at much, if any, risk.

However, it doesn't appear to be a sure thing that they will have problems -- some do and some don't.

My guess is that if your Penelope has any effect from it at all, it might be arthritis as she ages. But that's my guess only, and not based on having read of any occurrences of that. You might just be aware of that, and if she develops any problems walking or jumping, let your vet know that she was given Baytril at a young age.

She surely is cute!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.