Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Bathing Guinea Pigs

lisanjake

Cavy Slave
I just found this on the woodgreen website, saying guinea pigs should be bathed 3/4 times a year to avoid parasites.
yet others recommend not bathing them unless completely necessary?

What would you guys recommend? I never bathed my guineas when I was younger and they were fine to be honest lol :eek:

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
All pigs are different. My boars sometimes would need baths when they smell too badly. My guinea pigs like the water so I will fill my bathtub a few inches and let them run arround in it. I do this every 3 months or so, guinea pigs clean themselves like cats so baths arent very necessary.

smfetter

Cavy Slave
Only as necessary. Most Guinea pigs don't enjoy baths there is just no way of getting out so the run around to try to find a way out unsuccessfully. Guinea pigs won't contract parasites easily unless they come in direct contact. Baths can really dry out their skin so doing baths as needed is best. For boars, cleaning their grease gland with some dawn soap and only their grease gland is helpful. Dawn can dry out other parts of their body but because the grease gland is so oily, it is very effective and won't dry it out. If you bathe them every time the grease gland needs cleaning, their skin will be stripped of the natural oils. I find 1-2 times a year is all my pigs need. (My boar that is, my sows need it once every 1-1.5 years). Hope this helps!![emoji3][emoji194]

Edited by bpatters: One drop of Dawn on the grease gland is all you need, and it should be rinsed VERY thoroughly.

smfetter

Cavy Slave
Only as necessary. Most Guinea pigs don't enjoy baths there is just no way of getting out so the run around to try to find a way out unsuccessfully. Guinea pigs won't contract parasites easily unless they come in direct contact. Baths can really dry out their skin so doing baths as needed is best. For boars, cleaning their grease gland with some dawn soap and only their grease gland is helpful. Dawn can dry out other parts of their body but because the grease gland is so oily, it is very effective and won't dry it out. If you bathe them every time the grease gland needs cleaning, their skin will be stripped of the natural oils. I find 1-2 times a year is all my pigs need. (My boar that is, my sows need it once every 1-1.5 years). Hope this helps!![emoji3][emoji194]

Edited by bpatters: One drop of Dawn on the grease gland is all you need, and it should be rinsed VERY thoroughly.

Yeah! 1 drop! Thanks for clarifying! It may take a little while to make sure it is COMPLETELY rinsed out but it is so worth it!! It works so well!!!

BrittCaveys

Cavy Slave
All pigs are different. My boars sometimes would need baths when they smell too badly. My guinea pigs like the water so I will fill my bathtub a few inches and let them run arround in it. I do this every 3 months or so, guinea pigs clean themselves like cats so baths arent very necessary.

Would you bath them in the winter months too? If so how would you go about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You're not bathing them outside are you?

You bathe them them same way in the winter that you do in the summer -- just make sure the water is warm and that the pigs don't get chilled.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
You bathe them them same way in the winter that you do in the summer -- just make sure the water is warm and that the pigs don't get chilled.

I'd like to add that you towel dry them and then use a hair dryer to complete the job. Put the dryer on warm/low and keep your hand between the piggy and the dryer to monitor the heat. I fluff the fur with one hand with dryer in the other. My boys absolutely love the warm dryer and petting at the same time. Be sure to get them as dry as possible and keep them warm and draft-free until they are dry to the skin. Sometimes I hold them on my chest with a towel covering them so that my body heat keeps them from getting chilled and aids in drying.