Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Bathing Babies

bookwrmgrl1019

Cavy Slave
If a baby guinea pig's coat is dirty, is it okay to give it a bath? Are the babies more subjects to colds and sickness, like human babies? I'm talking 6-10 weeks at the youngest.

I started to give mine baths when they were 6 weeks old. You just need to make sure the water to warm and when you are done you dry them off really good. We use a hair dryer on ours.

You will need an extremely gentle baby pig shampoo for pigs under 12 weeks of age. I would normally advice to avoid bathing this early and it's also unusual to need it at all.

I highly recommend Gorgeous guineas "Mini-pig shampoo"(Kind'n'Gentle), a safe lavender shampoo specially made for baby cavies. You can order it in a small trial size (20ml), enough for about two baths.
(broken link removed)

If you can't order this, then you need to be very knowledgeable in ingredients when purchasing from a store. No mineral oil/paraffin, harsh sulfates, silicones or other dangerous ingredients.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.