Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Bath time!

BlueButterfly

Cavy Slave
Today my Gorgeous guineas CocoNeem Melt and Manuka and Neem shampoo came in the mail! So I decided not to wait around, and gave the girls a bath today. The boys need it more, since they're showing more signs of a fungal infection, but they've still got battle wounds and I think I'll wait until those heal up. Besides, the girls were starting to smell.

I washed Holly first, and she was absolutely NOT happy. She kept trying to jump out. Luckily I washed her in a bath tub, and it had very high sides. She is a VERY high jumper though. I'm glad she never wanted to escape from her cage. She took a very long time to dry, since she has a very thick coat for a short hair. She wasn't very happy about that either. She hates the towel trick, which is basically what she was in. She kept trying to squirm out. Eventually she calmed down and I could dry her.

Harmony was easier to wash, at first. She let me shampoo her, and was quiet while I changed the water. But when I tried to rinse her off, she kept trying to get a running start to jump out. Luckily she only did this a few times. She's still currently on my lap, shivering away. She does not seem to be able to dry off!

Vibrating is shivering, right? It's either that or fear. I know they were both cold and terrified, so it could be either. Luckily it's very warm today, so I don't think they'll catch a URI at all. They have a fresh cage now, and they smell very nice. They're both so very poofy. I just thought I'd share my experience, no questions.
Here's some pictures.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Bath time!Holly, all covered in shampoo while I change the water out.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Bath time!Harmony drying off.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Bath time!Harmony shampooed.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Bath time!Harmony in the tub. I could take a picture of Holly, because she was too hyper to leave her alone to take a picture.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Bath time!Holly all shampooed.

Poor babies. They are so cute!

Sounds about right. Bathing them together helps to keep them calmer too. I tried once to bathe my two girls separate, they were spasastic freaks. Together, one tries to jump every now and then and the other just wades around in the water. :)

I have a very strong feeling that my cavies won't be easy to bath either. My Rhode is a very skittish guinea pig.

I never get their heads wet because I don't want to get water in their eyes or ears. I use a cloth dampened with water to gently clean them.

I gave all my 7 a bath yesterday. It was indeed a trial! Except for my neutered boar, Noodle, who's a peruvian or sheltie mix. For no particular reason I left him until last. Along with Flynn, who has hip dyslplasia, he was the one who most needed a bath. He actually seemed to enjoy it! I think it was the massaging into his long fur that he enjoyed.I don't give my pigs baths often, and never wet their heads. It's been about a year since I last gave them a bath. I'm thinking that perhaps Noodle and Flynn should have baths more often, though. When poor Flynn was little she had urine scald because she didn't want to move, so she sat in her pee. She's more mobile now, but she still gets a bit stained at her rear.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.