Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing bath or no bath?

avengedsoph

Cavy Slave
some people say yes to giving there piggies a bath others dont? what do you all think?

I give my piggies a bath every 3 months or so, my piggies are male so their grease gland gets gross every once in a while. Oh , and don't bath them too often.

Bath when necessary, if necessary. Some piggies never need bathing, some , especially long haired piggies, need baths every few months. I have a long haired male so I have to bath maybe every 3 or 4 months, and I clean out his bits often in between. Make sure to use shampoo made for small animals such as Gorgeous Guineas, and don't bath often!
(broken link removed)

They don't need frequent baths. Bathe them too often and you can dry out their skin. If they need it, small animal shampoo is good. I've also heard of people using Burt's Bees.

I do wonder everybody else's opinion on using baby shampoo, though? Seems gentle enough?

My girls, Cuddles and Buttercup just recently celebrated their "1st" birthdays, and so far I have not needed to bathe them. I have had them both since they were only 6 weeks old. Cuddles is an Abyssinian, and Buttercup is a Dutch Crested smooth medium haired piggie.

I think if I had long haired piggies I would probably need to bathe them, no more than twice a year, and give them "butt baths" as needed...however, my girls keep themselves pretty clean, so maybe more "Pigpen from Peanuts" type piggies would require more than that, since all piggies are different, you know ? I don't know.

I do know though, that if you brush them often, like twice a week, it really helps keep the debris to a minimum, and their fur shiny and healthy, because brushing encourages their skins natural oils to spread throughout their fur, as well as increased blood flow which keeps their skin and fur ex foliated (loosens dead skin cells and old fur). Long haired piggies would need to be brushed daily though, for sure.

https://www.guinealynx.info/grooming.html

Baby shampoo is not recommended for pigs. I think the brand that I use on mine is "Squeaky Clean." You can also use kitten shampoo.

Baby shampoo is not recommended for pigs. I think the brand that I use on mine is "Squeaky Clean." You can also use kitten shampoo.

I haven't needed to give any of my animals bathes in a while, but I used to use kitten shampoo.
I'm curious though as to what is so bad about baby shampoo? Like the tear-free, Johnson&Johnson kind?

I would hazard to guess that like using "HUMAN" shampoo on a dog or cat for that matter, It can and usually does dry their skin out causing more problems then it's worth.
I've never had to bathe any of my piggies over the years but I've always had short haired ones so I really wouldn't know by experience.

Seems to me with short hairs at least as long as you keep their cages clean having to bathe them really shouldn't be needed. :?:

But I've known a couple of people who've had long haired hamsters and had to bathe them and they always used kitten shampoo...

I haven't needed to give any of my animals bathes in a while, but I used to use kitten shampoo.
I'm curious though as to what is so bad about baby shampoo? Like the tear-free, Johnson&Johnson kind?

Last edited:
Guinea pigs have really sensitive skin -- it's one of the reasons they're used so much in cosmetic research.

Also, when you think about it, the drop or so of baby shampoo you put on a baby's head only goes on a small part of its body. When you bathe a guinea pig, you're putting the shampoo on everything except its face and ears, so there's a much larger exposure to the shampoo chemicals than for a baby.

Also, I think most animal shampoos probably have more moisturizing things in them than baby shampoos do, but that's just a guess.

Ah, that makes some sense I suppose. Thank you for your thoughts on that.

I think you should bathe your pigs twice a year or so. Especially males because of their grease gland.... My father in law went an enourmous amount of time without bathing his long haired pig and it was a nasty mess. Poor little dude.

I give my guinea pig a bath not that often. He only had his second bath last week,and he's about 3 years old now. I only bath him with Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo by Super Pet. It smells like baby powder and keeps him soft for a long time. I only bath him when I feel that he is just to dirty of if he gets oily skin. But you dont want to bath them to much,although my guinea pig loves baths ;-)

Guinea pigs have really sensitive skin -- it's one of the reasons they're used so much in cosmetic research.

Also, when you think about it, the drop or so of baby shampoo you put on a baby's head only goes on a small part of its body. When you bathe a guinea pig, you're putting the shampoo on everything except its face and ears, so there's a much larger exposure to the shampoo chemicals than for a baby.

Also, I think most animal shampoos probably have more moisturizing things in them than baby shampoos do, but that's just a guess.

Speaking of cosmetic companies. I just did a report on Animal Testing!

A lot of times I catch my piggies bathing themselves. Brushing is a big help and also If they stepped in poo I will get Non Scented baby wipes, clean their feet and wipe there fur real quick it works very well!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.