Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bale of timothy hay question

zingo-pig-hops

Cavy Slave
I heard (from a uncreadible source) that the bale timothy hay is not very good for guinea pigs because they often have bugs, weeds, and pestecides in them. I have found a dead dry grasshopper in my piggies timothy hay before and i have also found weeds. If they arent good for piggies then wouldn't they not be good for horses either (even though horses are way different than piggies)?

The person said that the timothy hay in the petstore is "sterilized" so it is safer. What does every one think about that? I don't think it is true.

I feed my guinea piggies an unlimited amount of 2nd cut timothy hay from Del's.

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
Well then I suppose that dead grasshopper I found in my bag of Kaytee hay from PetSmart once was "sterilized".... lol.

If it's not hay, pick it out and feed your piggies. Some hay you buy at the store is processed and DYED to make it look good. I'd rather stick with natural, ya know?

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
I think you are fine to feed your timothy hay! Dead bugs and even an occasional field mouse may be found. It died from being trapped not poisoned, most likely!

You can ask the farmer you get the bale of hay from and ask them if they treat their fields with anything. I would guess the answer will be no, which is why there are weeds and insects in the hay!

Good luck!

pink piggy lips

Cavy Slave
I buy a combination of local feed store hay and then a nice box from either Oxbow or Kleenmama's (their shipping kills me!).

With the feed store hay (which we affectionately call 'farm hay'), I've come to expect the occasional grass hopper, rock, and brier. I just grab small handfuls so that I notice any foreign objects. Sometimes if I have long stalks I cut them in half to make them shorter.

But the worst, absolute worst thing, is getting hay splinters! Do you know how many times my poor husband has had to do surgery on my hand to get those out???

The last time it happened it was the softest piece of Oxbow orchard grass literally stuck in my finger. Let me tell you, it was the most painful one ever to come out.

I'd say if you can find good feed store hay, get some. It can help save money on buying just the 'designer' hay and it offers more variety to your piggies.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The person said that the timothy hay in the petstore is "sterilized" so it is safer. What does every one think about that? I don't think it is true.
This is one of the funniest things I've heard in a while. Definately not true.

zingo-pig-hops

Cavy Slave
This persons claim that 'petstore hay was better' seemed a little fishy to me.

When I found the grasshopper in my hay I showed it to all my family members and we were amazed by it.

I always wondered how hay could be "sterilized". When the person said it I had the vision of people in white suites and gas mask walking threw the a timothy fields spraying sterilizer on the grass.

Thanks to everyone.