Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching Bald spot on my pig's head

kapplepig

Cavy Slave
While I was holding my piggy Cayenne this evening, I noticed she has a small, bald spot beside her left ear on the top of her head. It looks like she has just been scratching and has caused the hair to fall out in this spot. I didn't see any mites, but the weather has been crazy around here. I've had terrible allergies and the temperature in my apartment has been up and down for the past few weeks.

I checked my other pig Alfalfa, and she is completely fine.

How can I get this spot to heal? What can I do to keep her from making this spot worse?

Guinea pigs have bald spots behind both ears and that's normal. Can you upload a photo so we can be sure that's what it is?

I can't get the camera any closer without it getting blurry, but it looks like she has scratched enough to make her hair fall out.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Bald spot on my pig's head[GuineaPigCages.com] Bald spot on my pig's head

That's not normal. You won't see the mites since they are almost microscopic. Since she's also scratching, I'd treat her for mites.

How do guinea pigs get mites? I've never had one get them before and I've had pigs my whole life.

How do guinea pigs get mites? I've never had one get them before and I've had pigs my whole life.

Guinea pigs can have mites and not show symptoms until they're stressed. I'd treat her and not even have scratch testing done because it's painful and not always conclusive.

It doesn't look normal. I would treat both for mites.

I will treat both of them just in case. But is there something else that could be causing her to itch? Like I said, I've been having terrible allergies because of the weather craziness. Could my girlies be feeling the effects as well?

Don't worry everyone: Cayenne is fine, her hair is growing back quickly, and you can hardly tell she even fat a bald spot.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.