Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss bald patch by hind legs

erinor

Cavy Gazer
ive had my piggies for about 6 years, and i recently noticed a bald patch by one of their hind legs. he doesn't scratch at it or anything, but it looks concerning. any advice?
[GuineaPigCages.com] bald patch by hind legs

It looks itchy and sore, with little bite marks. It looks there’s some dander or something at the base of the hair follicles. My guess would be fungal but it’s hard to tell.

A vet check would be best, but you could try an anti-fungal shampoo like Davis Miconizole. They also have combination anti-bacterial and anti-fungal shampoos. Then apply something to moisturize and heal, like a very light layer of coconut oil, or a polysporin salve.

Are there any other areas with skin issues, like the feet or ears?

It looks itchy and sore, with little bite marks. It looks there’s some dander or something at the base of the hair follicles. My guess would be fungal but it’s hard to tell.

A vet check would be best, but you could try an anti-fungal shampoo like Davis Miconizole. They also have combination anti-bacterial and anti-fungal shampoos. Then apply something to moisturize and heal, like a very light layer of coconut oil, or a polysporin salve.

Are there any other areas with skin issues, like the feet or ears?
his skin has been a little flaky, so a fungal infection would make sense. i would take him to a vet, but im going on vacation in a couple of days for about a week or so and can't squeeze an appointment in before then, but ill definitely take him after. would the shampoo and coconut oil combo help for the time being?

I’ve had good results with the Davis Miconizole shampoo. My pig had fungus on her feet, ears, and butt. One shampoo and then a small daily application of cream for athletes foot and she was much better within a week. Fungus can spread to other pigs. Make sure to wash your hands after handling and applying the cream.

I’ve had good results with the Davis Miconizole shampoo. My pig had fungus on her feet, ears, and butt. One shampoo and then a small daily application of cream for athletes foot and she was much better within a week. Fungus can spread to other pigs. Make sure to wash your hands after handling and applying the cream.
so just the shampoo and coconut oil will be okay until i get him to the vet? should i also shampoo my other guy? he's not showing any symptoms, but they live together, so it's probably spread.

so just the shampoo and coconut oil will be okay until i get him to the vet? should i also shampoo my other guy? he's not showing any symptoms, but they live together, so it's probably spread.
another thing, i live in canada and cannot for the life of me get ahold of davis miconazole. are there any other shampoos i could use?

another thing, i live in canada and cannot for the life of me get ahold of davis miconazole. are there any other shampoos i could use?
I've used Nizoral for Leo's recurring issues to good results. Beware, it's not cheap but it works.

ive found a lot of conflicting opinions on what i can do. is it possible if i hold off until about the 21 for an anti fungal shampoo bath? ill be in the states for vacation and can pick some up then. ill also have the vet appointment coming up then anyway

basically, anything with an ingredient that contains "conozole" in the name will do what you need. it all depends on how long you have to wait, and how quickly it progresses.