Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Baby Wipes??

elambo

Cavy Slave
Sometimes I notice both of my piggies have an odor and one of them (my Abbyssinian) has some flaky skin too. Rather than using a wash cloth dampened in warm water I thought it better to use baby wipes to help with the dry skin and to help with any odor they have.

What is everyone's experience and/or opinion with using baby wipes to wipe down your piggy say once per week, or bi-weekly or just once per month either in lieu of or in addition to any regular bath?

I know some of you have thought it best not to use baby wipes, even the ones made for cats because of possible ingestion by the guinea pig when it grooms itself. But is anyone actually aware if such ingestion has taken place and/or if it has actually been the cause to any negative consequences?

Thanks.

I think it's just common sense that you don't want small animals with delicate digestive systems swallowing any unnecessary chemicals. The smell of most wipes (even the unscented ones) is pretty strong and leave a lot of residue behind - they're not designed to be ingested, but that's exactly what will happen as they groom themselves.

I wouldn't use them on my pigs, nor should they need them. If you keep their cage clean, they're pretty good at keeping themselves clean and shouldn't need regular bathing/ wiping/ deodorising. I bathe mine at most a couple of times a year and they don't smell at all.

If they have flaky skin they may have mites https://www.guinealynx.info/hairloss.html#externalparasites - I'd get them checked out at the vet.

The only times I have ever bathed my pigs were when they had mites, and a few butt baths here and there. Guinea pigs are actually very clean animals, but only if there cage is kept neat. I don't see why there would even be a reason to use them. Are your pigs dirty often? Are they long-haired or short-haired?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.