Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Baby proofing

piggypuppylove

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hi all! I'm going to pick up the newest addition to my herd on Thursday! He is 4.5 weeks old. I found him on craigslist and he's the product of a surprise litter. After the quarantine period is up, he will be joining Frank, Charlie, and George in their 3x5. I now I'll need to baby proof, but I'm trying to do it without having to buy more coroplast. Any tips? Also, would the quarantine time be the same with a baby? His siblings are all female and the mother was purchased pregnant, so he has been alone for a week according to the person I'm getting him from. Would a week be long enough if he is healthy?

Oh, here he is :D his name will be Patrick [GuineaPigCages.com] Baby proofing

They always recommend at least 3 weeks just in case no matter the age. You could drape fleece over your grid walls for awhile if you don't want to put the coroplast higher. But if you already have it 3 inches I would think you were safe. He is cute. I love the brown on his face!

You could put cardboard pieces between your coroplast and the grids. It's recommended for the sides to be 10 inches high for babyproofing.

He is cute, isn't he? :D Can't wait to see him in person!

As far as quarantining goes, better safe than sorry I guess. It's torture waiting three weeks for introductions. My pigs are very social so we shouldn't have any problems with intros. When I added George they acted like long lost brothers. The woman I am adopting him from said that he has been handled a lot, so that is good.

Another question, how do I go about getting enough calcium into his diet once he joins the herd? I read that someone added parsley for calcium in place of alfalfa pellets. Would that be good? I could offer him parsley during lap time so that the other pigs wouldn't get any.

I'm so excited! I'm naming him Patrick in honor of my Grey's Anatomy fanatic sister:D I love the show as well, but she's obsessed. She squealed when I told her his name. I considered Derrick, but Patrick fits him better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.