Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Baby Proof

SpicyPiggies

Cavy Slave
How do I baby proof a C&C cage? I have the grids from Bed Bath and Beyond. Right now I have a yoga mat covering the side almost halfway up. No, they don't chew on it. Obviously fleece on the bottom.

Also, how old should a baby be before you separate them from mom? I've read 3 weeks....6 weeks...confused!

You should separate babies at 21 days if they males. If they are females, they can stay with mom. I am guessing dad isn't in the cage with mom?

You can baby proof various ways. You could overlap grids to make the holes smaller, or leave the coroplast up high enough that the babies cannot even get near the grids holes. The photo gallery here has a good number of pictures showing properly baby-proofed cages.

Separate baby males at 3 weeks -- the youngest recorded male to make a female pregnant is less than 4 weeks, I read the other day. Baby females can stay with mom forever if you want.

You babyproof the cage by putting something up the sides (8-10 inches) to keep the little guys from escaping or getting their heads caught. With C&C, you'll probably have to leave it there six months or so. If you've got extra coroplast, you can ziptie it in, or cardboard will work. If you've got extra grids, you can overlap them so that the holes are half-sized -- that works too.

I was just about to post the same question so I hope someone can answer this! I have the coroplast going only 4 inches up the sides, so Im assuming I need to get something to go higher (Not trying to hikack your thread, but you mentioned high sides so Im assming you know something I dont here....thanks!!) These babies were a surpise so Im not prepared at all yet! (oops, posted this as the same time as the other responses....)

Oops sorry should have been more clear! I am adopting a baby female for my two current females. When can the baby female leave her mom?

So basically make sure they can't get through the bars. Got it! :)

No worries moosey2002!! :)

Three weeks is the usual time they stay with mom. They've gotten all the benefits of nursing they're going to get by that time, and she'll wean them in a few days anyway.

I went up 7" on the sides with coroplast in the beginning. I extended this higher with strips of poster board and wove them in and out of the grids, overlapping where it ended and a new piece began. I was unaware of the forum back then so had to create something on my own. The only downside was they couldn't look out. Overlapping the grids would let them see out into their surroundings.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.