Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Baby pictures, and LOTS of questions about raising a baby pig!

kapowilicious

Cavy Slave
The long awaited baby finally arrived last night at about 9p. Mom seems very taken with her baby and spends a lot of time cuddling. They seem to sleep together and mom always seems to keep tabs on the baby. Do you think this means baby is getting fed, etc? I haven't actually seen the baby feeding, but the baby is SO new and I was gone all day today.

Does the baby need to drink from the water bottle or is mom's milk all she/he needs right now? I'm a little concerned with how high the coroplast is and how tiny the baby is, she might have trouble getting a drink.

The baby was eating hay today- is this normal for them to eat solid foods so early? It is less than 24 hours old! It was hiding in a giant pile of fresh hay and I could see it trying to munch on some.

And here are some pigtures!

[GuineaPigCages.com] Baby pictures, and LOTS of questions about raising a baby pig!

[GuineaPigCages.com] Baby pictures, and LOTS of questions about raising a baby pig!

[GuineaPigCages.com] Baby pictures, and LOTS of questions about raising a baby pig![GuineaPigCages.com] Baby pictures, and LOTS of questions about raising a baby pig!

And here is one of naughty little dad Pugsley, ready for a nail trim. He's not as innocent as he looks!

I have no clue about anything...I believe they do a mix of solid food and mothers milk right away. he is a super cutie!!!!

OMG that is too much cuteness!!! Thanks for the pics!!!

So cute! And I love the pic of dad too :)

They can eat and drink right from the get go. It is such a cute little baby! I love the wavy hair. I wonder if it will get the teddy fur like mom? =D

Sooo cute!!!!

oh my goodness i just squealed. are you going to keep him/her?!

Wow what cuties (mom, dad and pup).

They can eat and drink right from the get go. It is such a cute little baby! I love the wavy hair. I wonder if it will get the teddy fur like mom? =D

I think it will have fur like the mom! Good to know they can eat and drink right from the start.

oh my goodness i just squealed. are you going to keep him/her?!

Yes, we are keeping the baby!

Toooo cute! Love the picture of dad. He is like "I want to come out please". Just love the pictures.

I'm sure if you saw the baby feeding, it is getting enough. Sometimes first time moms don't exactly know how to take care of babies, but it sounds like things are going as they should.

It is very normal for babies to start eating pellets, hay, and nibbling on veggies right away. How high is the water bottle? I'm sure it's fine, you're probably just over worried about things lol

Please make sure you are either providing an alfalfa based pellet or alfalfa hay to mom/baby. The baby should have one or the other until it is 6 months old.

Another thing is that it will be normal if you see a little bit of spotting from mom for the next couple days. It should only be spotting though, very minimal... & it should be gone in the next couple days.

If you can lower the water bottle soon. The mother will teach him how to drink from it. Probably now the pup is just feeding off the mom and eating hay and possibly pellets. But the mom should be the main source of food. Try to keep an eye on them to make sure she is feeding. Also offer veggies as normal and the baby might eat that as well. You have beautiful pigs and the baby is so cute. Love the curly hair. :) good luck with your new baby pig

Overload of cutness! The pigture of the dad, make's me think of him thinking"dangit! I got busted! I'm innocent, you here me!" So cute!
Good luck with the baby hopefully he\she grows big and strong.

Omg so cute!

SSSSSSoooooooo cute. There is no way I could give that little darlin' away!!! OMG how precious.

The baby is so cute! I wonder if it's going to be a teddy or a texel. The fur looks like it might have some curls.

Well, my male (Pugsley) has been beside himself the last 2 days. He just will not stop the squeaking. I feel like he knows the baby is there (they are all in the same room). Anyone have experience with that happening? I feel bad that he is all alone right now but there isn't anything I can do about it until I know for certain the sex of the baby.

If the baby is a girl, I am thinking about getting Pugsley neutered so that I can house them all together.

Well, Pugsley will squeak because the mother had children. I am pretty sure that he wants to kill the little ones so he can mate again. You may want to check that out (broken link removed) <there or find some information on google.

Well, Pugsley will squeak because the mother had children. I am pretty sure that he wants to kill the little ones so he can mate again. You may want to check that out (broken link removed) <there or find some information on google.

That's strange I thought that guinea pig males weren't the same as hamsters, etc.

Can anyone else confirm this? Couldn't find any legitimate link that said the dad would want to kill the little ones.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.