Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Biting Baby Guinea Pig Bites Me - Ouch!

Gigabyte

Cavy Slave
Recently, my adopted baby guinea, Rodney, is fond of biting me. It's not just me, he likes to bite his dish and any items around him. He's maybe 12 weeks old.
Today, when I was holding him, he gave an awfully strong nip. How does one deal with these rowdy little nippers when they're young? I've old ever had older pigs, so he doesn't really wheek or do anything normal. I think the people that had him before were not very nice to him...

Any ideas? I was thinking about using Apple Bitter spray, but sometimes it doesn't go as planned.

I'd do two things. I'd say "Ow!" fairly sharply and move my hand. Don't yell at him, just don't say it in a conversational tone of voice.

The second thing is, I wouldn't put or leave my hand in front of his mouth. It's sort of like teaching puppies not to bite your fingers -- tell 'em no and keep your hands out of the way.

Mine love Bitter Apple, by the way. :sick:

I figured they would love bitter apple.

I took Rodney to the vet and he is blind, it turns out.

He's blind??? And that causes him to bite?? Why??

@OverunByPiggies
No, no...He might be scared and bite. But he's only a baby. I'm just stating he is healthy but blind. Just an update on his condition. :eek:ptimist:

He probably thinks your finger is food. What caused his blindness? Is he a lethal? What do you know about his background? Blind guinea pigs do well as long as you keep the cages set up the same way so they know where to find their food and water.

We have a blind boar who is doing very well -- agree with @pinky that you should keep the cage set up the same way. If you do change it, say to expand or something, kind of show him around the pen and try to mimic the set up as much as before. Our boar's condition was in large part severe malnutrition on top of some congenital issues.

We have to monitor our boar to make sure his eyes stay moist and nothing gets stuck to them. He has some paralysis which affects his ability to blink, but just in case. He is a real sweety pie!

He probably thinks your finger is food. What caused his blindness? Is he a lethal? What do you know about his background? Blind guinea pigs do well as long as you keep the cages set up the same way so they know where to find their food and water.

@pinky, what is a lethal?

@pinky, what is a lethal?

Lethals are red eyed, white guinea pigs that are born blind, can have digestive problems and sometimes have serious dental issues that result from the breeding of two roans or two dalmations. From what you described, your guinea pig had issues due to poor care during the pregnancy or immediately after birth. Your vet would have probably told you if your guinea pig was a lethal. I wouldn't feel bad that your guinea pig is blind. He doesn't know any difference so he's already learning to compensate. I'm sure you'll find he'll be a very sweet boy once he knows he can trust you.

My little Rodney is not a lethal. He saw the vet and she said he's fine.

Does the vet have any idea on what caused the blindness?

Do you have any pics of Rodney? We've talked so much about him I'd like to see the little guy.

@foggycreekcavy - He was with bad owners that didn't feed him well. She thinks either the sow or Rodney where deprived of proper nutrients and his eyes just don't work. There's no light response.
@OverunByPiggies - I only have one so far!
[GuineaPigCages.com] Baby Guinea Pig Bites Me - Ouch!

He's a fuzzy cutey! Sad how many pigs are out there with preventable disabilities because people don't take good care of them.

Rodney's Background: I saw a "FREE" post on CL a week ago and called on it, hoping he wouldn't end up as a snake's dinner. No details on sex or age were given, so I made an hour long drive to the house where he was. He was in a six year old's room in a dog crate filled with disgusting pine bedding that was all over the room. The mom was overwhelmed, the kids were loud and hyper, and the daughter who was the one I called was so high she could barely hand me the pig's food.

Also, there was no food or water in the cage when I got there. The food they DID give me was a Walmart brand called Wild Harvest. Gross! It was filled with nuts and seeds and dried corn. So, he seemed healthy but a little off. I shrugged it off as dehydration and put him in the carrier and we headed home.

When I set up the water bottle, food, and hay - we went nuts! He'd never had veggies, hay, or proper food or water before. He guzzled a good cup of water in about two days! He was silent with no wheeking and kinda scared. He was also really quiet and seemed to not move much outside of going to the food bowl and 'looking' out his cage.

I took him to the vet for a sneeze and said he acted funny, like staring upwards in my direction when I talked and seeming absent. She examined him and turned off the lights and did the whole shebang, and he can hear, but he can't see.

He's totally healthy, though. A couple minutes ago he was running laps and popcorning. He loves the little tent I made him and his pigloo. So I guess he's settling in. I'm pretty sure he was born blind.

Last edited:
Sweet little guy. He's so lucky you rescued him.

My older pig Hammy bites and I do a variation on a whimper/wheek that reminds him that he's going to hurt me if he continues. After awhile, he settles in and even licks me instead of biting. I always do lap time when there's no other distractions around and I talk to him very softly. Slowly, he's learning to be more gentle, he just needs reminders.

I'm used to having older pigs, so it surely is an adjustment.
:D

I'm pretty sure that Rodney is one of the luckiest piggies in the world. I'm so glad that he was able to make his way into your life. It's sounds like he will now be happy and loved.

What a little sweetheart! He reminds me so much of my Roger.

Rodney is becoming a real cuddlebug. He's now on meds for a sinus infection (URI), seems like he'll be fine. He goobles up everything I give him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.