Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Baby Girl got into Tiny Dancer's cage!

rramos

Cavy Slave
:(I came home yesterday and, as usual, went to check on my babies. Blonde wasn't in her cage and I looked frantically for her everywhere. I found her rumbling happily in Tiny Dancer's hut and Tiny Dancer outside it puffed up and squealing. I took her out immediately and checked her bottom. She was all wet and her female part (Y shape) wet as well. I can't tell if it was from her squirting her liquid around his cage, her scent, or if it was from Tiny Dancer.

I do not know how long she was in there. When I reinforced her cage ten fold, I noticed that one of the zip ties in the back corner was a but loose :mad:and if pushed right, it looked like she could fit through there. The cube squares she have the smaller squared bars because she is smaller. However, Tiny Dancer's square bars are a bit bigger, because he is a bigger guinea pig, and now I know that if she squeezes, she can get into his cage. We are switching Tiny Dancers cubes for the smaller bar ones. His cage will be the same size, just with smaller squared bars.

Then this morning, I checked her and she has some dry, almost yellow, not crustiness but stuff on her female part. While I was cleaning her, I noticed her female part was a bit more 'open', for lack of better words, than usual. I do not know if was 'open' to begin with. I rescued Blonde when she was a little under a year old, and now she has to be at least 3 years total. In that time, I she has not come in contact with my male guinea pigs; nor do I know if before I got her, if she had given birth before or not. I am guessing not because I rescued her from a flea market and the only reason the guy sold her was because he though she was a he. My fiance asked if he sold females and he said no, only the males. (P.S. We have already contacted the police about his inhumane breeding). I called my vet, but they do not open until Monday, and I would still have to see when they could see her.

Is there anything I can do and/or any signs I should keep an eye out for with Baby Girl?
I checked for cuts or bite marks on them both, but I didn't see any. Any advice you have would before I take her to the vet would be greatly appreciated to keep my nerves down. :(

You don't need to take her to the vet -- there's not a thing he can do, including tell whether or not she's pregnant.

What you need to do is secure your guinea pig cages so they can't escape. That means tight corners and locked-down, sturdy lids.

sorry to hear about your situation rramos, she may well be pregnant, but dont beat yourself up about it, these things happen. to quote jurassic park- "life finds a way"

You don't need to take her to the vet -- there's not a thing he can do, including tell whether or not she's pregnant.

What you need to do is secure your guinea pig cages so they can't escape. That means tight corners and locked-down, sturdy lids.

I know. I always check their cages to make sure, but I guess I missed a tie. I don't trust the slide in edges the C&C cages come with, so I have zip ties on every cage. When we got her, we didn't know she was a she. We asked if he sold girls and since he said no, we thought she was a he, which was fine because we wanted a friend for Tiny Dancer; plus, I didn't want to leave her there in the flea market in a cage with pigeons, frightened in a corner alone. When we got home, we found out she was a she, so we kept them separate since.

I think I may still take her to the vet weekly, just so the vet can be aware and might spot something before we do.

Thank you for your advice. It is noted and appreciated.

sorry to hear about your situation rramos, she may well be pregnant, but dont beat yourself up about it, these things happen. to quote jurassic park- "life finds a way"

Thank you. I feel terrible. Blonde and I are the only girls in the apartment, so I feel like I let her down. :sad: I moved her to a different enclosing closer to my bed so I can keep an eye on her and be with her more to make up for yesterday.

We've kept them safe and separate for almost 3 years now, and now because of one forgotten zip tie. The irony.

I hope she's ok! Maybe it's just a response to being around the male?

Have you thought about neutering your male?

I hope she's ok! Maybe it's just a response to being around the male?

Have you thought about neutering your male?

I've looked into neutering, however I know it is bad for a guinea pig to loose any amount of blood and I couldn't take it if something happened to Tiny Dancer.

I'm talking it over with my fiance though. Thank you for the reply.

I brought a scale just for Baby Girl to weight her daily. This way I can see if she is gaining a lot of weight from a possible pregnancy.

I've read that it can be dangerous for a female guinea pig to give birth if she hasn't after a certain period of time. Any advice regarding this would be greatly appreciated. I will take her to the vet if she is and when it comes time for delivery in case of any complications.

Do you know how old she is? And whether she's had a previous litter?

If a guinea pig hasn't had her first litter before she's about 10 months old, the pelvic ligaments that usually stretch during delivery can stiffen, making any future deliveries possibly difficult. But sometimes older pigs give birth with no problems. Having several smaller pups is usually much easier than one or two large ones, for instance.

You don't need to take her to the vet unless she's having problems delivering. Read www.guinealynx.info/labor.html for more information about that.

What about getting her spayed? If you did it soon she wont have babies and could live with the male.

these things happen

Actually, these things don't happen if cages are secured properly. I'm not getting down on the poster, but now she knows better.

You don't need to weigh her daily. You already should be weighing her weekly, and that will be sufficient. Gestation is a long time (up to 10 weeks even) and pregnant pigs usually don't really start putting on weight right away.

these things happen

Actually, these things don't happen if cages are secured properly. I'm not getting down on the poster, but now she knows better.

You don't need to weigh her daily. You already should be weighing her weekly, and that will be sufficient. Gestation is a long time (up to 10 weeks even) and pregnant pigs usually don't really start putting on weight right away.

I totally agree. Velvet didn't "show" until about two weeks ago, and she "popped" Sunday night.

I would suggest marking the date she escaped on your calender just in case you forget dates - I wish I had done that when I brought the other four females home that I'm playing the waiting game for.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.