Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Babies: food,water and separation

iugin

Cavy Slave
Hello again my dear co-piggie lovers.I hope that this thread is in the right place.I have so many questions about babies.
They are now 1,5 week old and still together with the mother.I can see that they eat hay and pellets and drink milk.I tried to give them some lettuce or ciliantro and green pepper but they didn't eat.They don't drink water from the bottles but i can see them trying.Is it normal that they do not eat veggies?
When they are 3 weeks old i have to separate them because i can't tell for sure if they are f or m.Vet told me that it is diffult to understant what sex they are because they are very young.If one of them is a girl i want to keep her.In what age the sex will be clear?And in what age it is safe to give them for adoption?
Thank you :)

I was able to tell the sex at 3 weeks and you are able to adopt them out as soon as 3 weeks.

See these links. They should help with determining their genders.
Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig
https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing_pups.html

If you really cannot tell them apart, you can keep them in separate cages until you can, or you can find them new homes. I do not recommend sending them out as a single pig unless the new home already has a guinea pig to keep them company. So it's better to wait until you can tell the gender to rehome them.

Thank you :) does anyone know something about the veggies?

They can eat anything you feed the adults. If they do not eat veggies yet, they might not know what they are. They should get it pretty soon if they see mommy pig eating them.

You can also chop them into small pieces and put over their pellets.

Her mum and her aunt they eat a lot lettuce,carrots,cilantro,peppers green,yellow and sweet red but they do not bother at all to taste them!

That's so strange. I bet that they will get it eventually just by emulating. When my pig (accidentally) had babies, they were eating veggies from day one. They loved them! But, it took them the longest time to figure out the water bottle. I would have been scared they weren't drinking water if I didn't see them drinking from the open bowl we put down for them. They did it eventually, though, so just give them time!

I found sexing to be really hard with mine. They all kind of looked the same to me. When they were two weeks old, they saw the vet and she sexed them for us, and we could see what she saw. But she also gave us the caveat that the girl miiiight not really be a girl. The boys miiiiight not really be a boy. Haha. She turned out to be completely right, as we obsessively checked every day until they had to be separated, and even beyond. We didn't want any more babies! I think it is easier to tell if they are definitely boys because you'll be able to see their penis. Girls can be harder, because they could just be shy boys. =\

Usually you can tell by three weeks, but sometimes it takes a bit longer. Females can have a small nub that some people mistake for where the penis comes out. Often the behavior gives you a clue as well--baby boys will sometimes start chasing and mounting their sisters and mom early on.

Can you post pictures of their genitals here?

Oh, and it's possible the babies are eating veggies and greens when you don't notice. I have never had a baby that did not eat the same thing it's mom was eating.

I tried to take a foto but none of them stayies still!!!moving in my hands like hell!!I am 70% sure that one is male.I have doubts for the second.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.