Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Babies don't want to be touched

gisele

Cavy Slave
The babies are now 7 weeks old and I have to chase them around the cage. I'm trying to handle them so they can get used to it, but they hate being away from their playmates. Holding them all at once is a little difficult, the babies are very squirmy. Any suggestions? How often do you recommend that they be held to enjoy lap time?

:?:

First of all, don't chase them to catch them -- it just makes it harder. Cut holes in the ends out of a shoe box, put it in the cage, and gently shoo them in it. Put your hands over the holes and lift the box out. Put the pig in your lap with a blanket or something snuggly it can sort of hide under. Talk gently to it, and feed it yummy treats (think herbs, bits of fruit, favorite veggies, etc., NOT the junk sold at pet stores). Do that for each pig at least once day, and more often if you have time. It won't take them long to come around.

Thanks, I will try that. Does the amount of time you hold each baby matter? Do you recommend holding them separately or together? When Pip Squeak was a baby he was an only piggie so he didn't seem to have separation anxieties and we bonded quite quickly. My little ones now seem more interested in each other than me - except for food - then I get a chorus of squeaks. Pip Squeak lets me pat him when I reach in the cage - but the little ones run away. Even Mama piggie runs away. We didn't have much time for bonding before the babies arrived. I want them all to be comfortable with handling - I love to snuggle them.

Hold them separate or together. Hold them every day. Babies are really active, so you really can only hold them for a little bit each time. Maybe hold them several times, for short periods each time.

Most pigs do run from being picked up. It's completely natural and normal.

Pebble let me pat him today while I was feeding him lettuce inside his cage. Moo still won't allow petting, nor will Sparkle. I will try the suggestions. Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.