Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Babies, babies, babies!

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
We went out this afternoon, came back around 9:00 this evening to find Nibbler and her 3 babies snuggled up together. She finally had her babies. They are so cute and alert it is amazing.

I will get pictures as soon as I can! I should have them up by tomorrow.

Is there anything I should be doing for them right now? They seem healthy and happy!

socal805

Cavy Slave
Yipeee! How exciting! I can't wait to see the pics!

buttons

Cavy Slave
Did you plan for the pregnancy??? -- Sorry but it does sound like it...

Otherwise, they need fresh veggies and alfalfa hay and alfalfa based pellets.

Can't wait for your pigtures!

rhonda_j1954

Cavy Slave
Aw! Congradulations!:D I have never seen new born baby piggies. Looking foreword to seeing the pics. So how is mom and babies doing? Hope they are doing great. How exciting for you! I bet they are so precious to see.:heart:

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
Buttons ~ I did plan for this. I have known for a month that she was going to have them. I just didn't know if I should make a pellet smash or first see if they eat on their own. I have everything I need for them I just didn't know what to do first.

Okay! I couldn't wait until tomorrow. Here are the Pigtures! Please excuse the messy cage. I didn't get a chance to clean it out yet this week.

Click to see them bigger!

Mama and first baby! (possible name marshmallow)

Front to back Mama, (possible names: marshmallow, cookie, and cocoa)
left to right (marshmallow, cocoa, and cookie)
same as above
Mama and cookie and marshmallow

We have not decided on any names. We want to see their personalities before deciding on a name. Any advice on names is welcome! We just started calling them Marshmallow, Cookie, and Cocoa because of their colors, and because we needed names to use for now!

Enjoy the pics!

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
Rhonda ~ Mama and babies are doing great! I can't believe the babies are so aware, alert, and active!

OCPiggies

Cavy Slave
They are SO ADORABLE!!!! I rescued a mama piggie that was VERY pregnant years ago. We were very fortunate to have healthy babies. I'm glad everything went well for mama and babies.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
Okay! All of you who have ever had brand new babies, how soon can I hold them and play with them? She had them sometime between 5-9 last night. It is now 8:30am. Do you think it would be okay to hold them now?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
It should be fine to hold them now. In fact, if you have a scale, getting a weight for each of them would be an excellent idea.

Everyone is adorable. Congrats on a safe birth.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
Thanks Percy's Mom! I am off to go hold the babies. Weighing them is a great idea, thank you!

clotho

Cavy Slave
Congrats on the new babies! They are adorable!

Weighing them and keeping track, at least once a day, is a great idea. Then you can be sure they are thriving. One thing I did when my girl Cookie had three babies was to take the bigger ones off her once in a while and help the runt get in there and nurse more often. You may want to give the runt some alone time with mom to nurse once a day. That will help make sure it gets enough food.

You don't need to supplement feeding unless there is a problem. The babies will be eating solid foods very soon - they start nibbling within hours of birth. They will get all they need from nursing, but will soon be munching hay and veggies and pellets.

You can hold them right away. Nibbler won't reject them or anything. Also make sure you weigh Nibbler once a day to make sure she doesn't start to lose a lot of weight (aside from the weight of the babies obviously).

Enjoy them while they are little. They will grow so fast!

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
Thank you clotho! I did weigh them. Cookie is 3.2oz. Cocoa is 3.2oz. Marshmallow is 3.0oz. Do those weights sound about right for new borns?

All seem happy and healthy, and they are in their floor time pool visiting with aunt Abby (our other guinea pig which has been seperated for 1 1/2 weeks now). There was a little aggressiveness at first, but all is fine now! I am glad they are getting along. Do you think it is safe to take out the cage divider now that they seem to be getting along?

clotho

Cavy Slave
I personally don't think you ever needed to separate them in the first place.

If they are getting along in floor time - if you do decide to keep them together (which I see no reason not to) then make sure you clean the cage out really well before putting them back. Otherwise you may run into some territorial issues because of their scents in the cage.

Those birth weights sound good to me. The important thing is that they steadily gain weight. I found that it was easier for me to weigh in grams rather than ounces because it helped me keep track of very small weight gain/losses.

socal805

Cavy Slave
They are just too cute, I am so glad that momma and babies all seem to be doing well. I just want to come and get them all!

Fanch

Cavy Slave
Congrats of 3 extremely adorable babies!! Looking forward to more pigtures as they grow up.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
Okay! All of you who have ever had brand new babies, how soon can I hold them and play with them? She had them sometime between 5-9 last night. It is now 8:30am. Do you think it would be okay to hold them now?
I had no choice but to hold TeeJay within a couple of minutes after she was born (I had to remove the sac and get her breathing). You can hold them right from the start...mama won't reject them.

Judging from their weights, they sound like healthy little babies. I love the names, by the way. I wouldn't dare have piggies with names like that because I'd always get hungry when I talked to them!

Congrats on the new little family! Looking forward to more pigtures!

Rattie Mom

Cavy Slave
Awe, what sweet adorable babies. Congrats!

naturegal592

Cavy Slave
FINALLY! I have been checking a couple times a day to see if she had them yet. They are adorable! I love cookies markings! Are you going to keep all of them or adopt them out. I would have a hard time ever parting with baby anythings. Good luck to you and your new family.

babybunny

Cavy Slave
Love those little white legs on them. Looks like they stepped in paint accidentally. Congrats on the angels!

rhonda_j1954

Cavy Slave
They are definiately cute and adorable. I bet you are proud of your little family.:D I think the names you picked out are great. They seem to suit them. But if you feel you want to change them, that is fine too. That is the first time I have ever seen new born piggies. Wonder what it would be like to see them for real. Congrads!:heart:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.