Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

babies are coming

JennG

Cavy Slave
HELP!! My Snowball gave birth to a girl an hour ago. Unfortunately, I think this is Snowball's first litter. She didn't know what to do (& neither did I). I talked w/ my sister-in-law who said to help the next one by suctioning it out and not waiting for so long before intervening. That was about a 1/2 hr ago. Snowball has eaten some lettuce & hay as well as drinking some water but there still is no other baby (& I know there's at least one more in there.). How long is the birthing process and what else can I do the save the next one? My kids and I have named the baby that died Honey. Poor baby!! Thanks for assistance.

I suggest getting her into an emergency vet ASAP. She should probably not go that long between pups. Is the baby that is still in her moving? I would think at this point she definately needs medical attention and possibly a c-section.

As far as the length of birthing process, when my sow had babies in May, she was done with delivery and cleaning up the pups within a half hour and she had 4 of them.

I am sorry that you have already lost one. You may very well lose the other and the sow if you don't get help now. I hope this helps and sorry it could not have been better news/advice.

Suctioning it ?! You should never force out a baby from any animal giving birth unless you absolutely know what you are doing. It is very easy to damage the baby or kill the mother. If you know there is another baby she needs to be taken to a vet asap without a minute to spare. A leftover baby dying inside will become toxic and kill the mother. If anymore babies are born makes sure to clean off their mouth and nose so they don't suffocate and rub them lightly with a washcloth to dry them.

Thanks for the feed back. SHe just passed her afterbirth and I'm hoping that gets her moving. The other baby(ies) still seem to be moving.

Get to a vet asap, especially if she still has a baby inside.

Are you positive there is another one? It's npt unusual for a sow to have just one baby.

What is Snowball doing? Is she eating, drinking or just acting lethargic?

How are you planning to "suction" the baby out? I don't think you have the means to do something like that. When a sow needs assistance it is more typical to use KY jelly to lube your finger, insert it GENTLY into the sow, hook your nail on the pup's front teeth and gently pull only while the sow is having a contraction. Doing any of this wrong can kill/injure the sow.

If you have never helped deliver pups before I must recommend that you take your sow to a vet immediatly. Her life and the life of the pup depend on it.

I'm pretty sure an hour is too long. Either she has no more or something is seriously wrong. Why did they pick today to update guinealynx... I can't find anything.

Maybe she only had one in there. She's up and eating and drinking fine. I could've sworn there was more than one but I'm not sure. She's acting normal. She delivered the placenta alittle while ago. If there's another one, I'm hoping it'll come out soon. I've gotta go check on her. The suctioning is for after the baby was born to suction out the goopie stuff in their mouths. I didn't do it to Honey. I just got the pouch off of her and started to rub her down and blow into her mouth. The other two girls were on the floor for floor time while this was all happening. I think they know what's going on.

Suctioning still sounds like a bad idea. It would be extremely easy to suck too hard and damage their lungs or throat. Even for complications with horses the vet has never done something like that.

I just went to check on her and felt her belly. I don't think she has anymore in there. She's up eating hay and pellets and drinking water. I'm going to clean her area up and let the other girls up there. I feel so bad about HOney. I can't believe how attach we could get to them and she wasn't even w/ us long. I wish I could've done something more. She was white and pretty like her mama.

Speaking of placenta and afterbrith, what does happen with it? When I discovered the babies on Saturday from a Friday night birth, there was nothing but babies in the cage.

The mom will eat the placenta's. This gets rid of any blood products, including litter with blood on, so that other animals don't attack them in the wild. Its just instinct for them to get rid of any scent that might attract other animals. I think that it also aids in the milk production of the mom. It sounds disgusting :yuck: but that is what they do.

Guniea pigs, like many animals, eat any evidence that a birth has taken place, including the afterbirth (placenta) and any bloody bedding. They do this so that predators don't prey on their vulnerable newborn babies.

When my cat gave birth when I was a kid, I was the only one to witness the event, and there was nobody there to tell me why my cat was eating the placenta like it was gourmet cat food! I was so grossed out at the time.

Wow. I just never thought about it. I'm at a loss of words. I understand its natural, but, umm, EWWWWW!!!!

Well I think we're done. I want to thank everyone for their support. I know this isn't a place for emergencies but being new to the cavy world and not knowing what to do. I panicked. I appreciate everyone's advice and help!! This is a great support network for us cavy lovers. :) God be w/ little Honey. Now I understand better on why we don't want to breed. Its too hard on them & us. I told the kids we may adopt in a few months. Thanks again from Snowball, my kids & I. I'm going to be posting pics of the girls and their cage soon. I hope everyone will take a look at them. Thanks again & Good night!!

Just watch a few of these threads pop up and you'll know why not to breed. I almost hate to look because chances are somebody is dead or dying. There's 1 of my own threads on guinealynx where Snickers lost her only pup and now Toffee is due any day.

I'm glad that everything has turned out OK with Snowball, and I'm sorry about Honey. It always hurts to lose a pig, even one you've only known for a few hours.

Jenn, In post 4 you said that the other baby(ies) still are moving. Then in post 11 you said that you felt her belly and don't think there are anymore in there. Unless you are absolutely sure there are no more, it might be a good idea to have a vet check her out. If you felt no movement, that could mean that any baby left could have died which will likely cause you to lose your sow. After losing the one baby, I would hate to see that happen to you too.

Thanks for all of your support. I think I must've been in a panic. I checked on Snowball this morning and I'm home now for lunch. She's doing fine. She's eating and drinking w/ no problems. I could've sworn that she had at least two but she wasn't that big w/ Honey. Can they have just one? I'm assuming so. :weepy: My oldest is having a hard time w/ this but we'll all be ok. Thanks again!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.