Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Awesome wire hay rack from Ikea!

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
Hey guys!
I went to our local Ikea today for something completely unpiggy related and ended up searching the entire store for things I could use in their cage. I found a ton of potential stuff but only walked out with this awesome basket for hay. It is long enough to two full sized boars can eat from it and not get in each other's way, I think it's almost a foot long. I am especially excited about the removable bottom so hay doesn't go everywhere. I am going to zip tie it to the grids and make sure it's sitting on the floor of the cage (cause that would hurt if a piggy got hit after trying to run under it!). I haven't attached it to their cage yet because I'm about to go back to school after break, but when I do I will share of it's success!
:D

ps. I almost forgot, the best part about it was that it's only $1.99!
[GuineaPigCages.com] Awesome wire hay rack from Ikea!

LOL hay is messy by nature, the bottom might prevent hay from getting out but it will easily fall out of the sides through the wires. Not to mention the pigs will pull it out, there's no getting around that.

Cute
idea but i agree its never going to solve the hay everywhere problem

I ❤️ Ikea. My latest hay containing attempt was a grid tied at an angle. So far so good but just as messy as any other method I have tried. The only thing I like about the grid is that it can hold a whole bunch of hay!

may not solve your messy hay problem but it should work as a great hay rack for your boys.

The rack is actually working out quite well as far as mess is concerned! It is catching all the small, loose particles instead of embedding them into the fleece below, which was my original intention for the rack. It is also a perfect height for their little piggy mouths to eat out of.
Very happy with my purchase! Stay tuned for pigtures of the rack in action when I get back to my apartment and settle the piggies in :3

Looks like a great hay rack. Keep us posted as how it is working out.

Your hay holder looks great. I have something similar but ended up replacing the zip ties with big clips (like on the end of a dog leash) because I found it was easier to clean the cage if I could remove the holder. Just a suggestion.

Your hay holder looks great. I have something similar but ended up replacing the zip ties with big clips (like on the end of a dog leash) because I found it was easier to clean the cage if I could remove the holder. Just a suggestion.
Great idea! They sell clips like that at Lowe's for super cheap! It's better than replacing the zip ties every time I change the cage. Thanks!

[GuineaPigCages.com] Awesome wire hay rack from Ikea!
As promised, here's a picture! I'm watching Radley eat from it right now and he's having no problems. It will be positioned on the floor of the big cage when all three boys are together and I think I'll even take off that hanging arm, in case Harper tries to sit in it. I'll use clips to keep it tight on the cage :)
The hay seems to be well contained at this point but we'll see tomorrow morning after he's had a night with it!

Thanks for the picture. I like that style of hay rack. It is at piggy height so they can get the hay from the sides or top. I don't like to see them having to reach up to get their hay. They have to hold their necks at such an awkward angle. Also how frustrating if they are low on hay and they can see the hay in the middle of the rack but can't get it. With this type they can reach in to get all of it.

If you want to keep the hay off the fleece under the rack, you could place a piece of old sheet material cut to fit. The hay or hair doesn't stick to it.

Do your piggies try to jump into the hay rack? My girls will do ANYTHING to be able to sit in their hay rack. It is amazing how determined my girls are.

Do your piggies try to jump into the hay rack? My girls will do ANYTHING to be able to sit in their hay rack. It is amazing how determined my girls are.

They sit in their hay all the time and poo and pee in it! I bought this rack to eliminate that problem. It's smaller than piggy-butt size which I'm hoping will discourage sitting. It's in Radley's cage right now and he never sits in the hay, but when I do intros in two weeks and put all three boys in one cage, I will be interested to see how Scout handles it, he's Chief Hay Sitter hahaha!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.