Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

In Heat Attacking her sister while in heat?

ech90

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, sorry if this has been asked before. Last night, I'm pretty sure that Piggy was in heat because she kept following Bcup around the cage, rumblestrutting, and nipping at her. I know that this is normal behavior for being in heat, but the nipping was a little disturbing to me. It felt like last night it was nonstop rumblestrutting (Piggy) and squealing (Buttercup) going on. I just felt bad for Buttercup because as it is she's almost half the size of Piggy and it's like she had nowhere to go without Piggy following her. Piggy didn't break the skin, but I definitely don't think it felt good for Buttercup because she squealed so loudly everytime Piggy nipped at her. Everywhere says not to separate pigs unless blood has been drawn, but would it be possible to temporarily separate them for a day until Piggy is no longer in heat? Or would that raise the possibility that they won't accept each other upon reintroduction. I took some videos of Piggy following Buttercup around, but these were all minor incidents because the ones where she was really attacking her I stopped recording and put my phone in there to try to stop it.

Thankfully when I woke up this morning Piggy was still rumblestrutting but no longer in fight mode, but I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to help Bcup if possible!

[video=youtube;xEoHfeBEQJY]
[video=youtube;1vVwIMm-8zE]

Just let.them.alone... They're fine, it will all be over in a day or so. And just wait until they're both in heat at the same time if you think there's drama now.

That's what I figured, that I should just leave them be. I think this time it was just more obvious to me than usual because I slept in the living room (I was throwing up a lot last night and boyfriend did not want me throwing up in the bed) so I kept hearing all the noises. It's strange, but in the whole time I have had them, Piggy goes into heat pretty regularly every 2 weeks but I've never even noticed Buttercup exhibited behaviors of going into heat. Oh well, I guess Piggy is just more moody and hormonal around that time of the month!

If the hormonal behavior escalates then you might consider a hormonal problem, such as ovarian cysts.

Thanks, foggycreekcavy. I am bringing Piggy to the vet next Monday so I will be sure to ask about that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.