Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction At A Loss

hlover100

Cavy Slave
So I havent logged on in quite some time, but I have been reading the forums quite a bit lately. But anyway, my now 6 year old boar has been having issues with impaction and I've been cleaning him out about once a day, but I've noticed a more watery like fluid mixed with his poo, but it isn't the same color. Is this normal? He's also lost some weight since he started having impactions. I've noticed he just puffs up and makes a low almost grunt noise so I check him to see if he's straining to go, but that's not always the case.
He's also had an ear infection earlier this year, but seems to have recovered just fine, but I make sure to clean his ears once a week to prevent problems coming up again with a medication that my vet gave me. On top of that he's really begun to have a foul order every so often. I don't always notice it, but when I do, it's quite unpleasant, but not overwhelming. I really don't know what to do as whole since he'll seem so sad and unhappy at one moment, but then go back to his regular self. I give him the best quality feed that I can and since I work at a horse barn, I have access to some really nice grass hays. He seems to be eating fine except he takes a lot longer to eat his veggies. I've looked at his mouth/teeth and all seems well there so I'm at a complete loss as to what I should do. All the vets in my area don't really do much with guinea pigs/rabbits/exotic animals, so I honestly don't think they know how to treat him.
So I guess I'm asking for overall advice. Has anyone else had a similar situation? I would hate to have to put him down, but I don't want him to be in pain. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I figured I should just make one post instead of breaking it into several different topics.

I'd suggest you post this over on Guinea Lynx (www.guinealynx.info) in the Emergency and Medical forum. There are several regular posters over there who have a lot of experience with boars and impactions, and they should be able to help you.

Does he have a companion? What's his cage size? Does he exercise?

Since you are needing to clean him out so often he may not be eating enough (or any) cecal poops and may need supplementation of B vitamins.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.