Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aspen wood chips

dandelion

Cavy Slave
Okay, on another guinea pig forum I talk on people keep saying that aspen wood chips are bad for guinea pigs, but they don't back up their statement. I know pine and cedar are but has anybody actually heard or have any proof that aspen is bad for guinea pigs? I mean I have aspen wood chips in part of my cage and they also have an aspen wood house and chew on aspen pieces of wood, so if there is anything wrong with it I would really like to know. Thanks!

*Piglets-Angel*

Cavy Slave
No aspen shavings are not bad, I have no idea why those people said that.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I believe Aspen is one of the woods that is completely safe for pigs to be bedded on.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
You're talking about this, right? https://www.pimms-pages.co.uk/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=2213&PN=2

I read some of the posts against aspen & it's all a load of rubbish. They don't even post why aspen is bad, so it seems to be an unresearched & unfounded claim. The only con I read against it that I agree on is that it can get kicked out of the cage. But this applies to all wood shavings. And it certainly isn't bad for the guinea pigs because of this.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
No, aspen is the safest bedding. Kiln dried pine is next in line, but ceder is never to be used.

Katie

Cavy Slave
I personally will never go on the website ever again. It's full of misinformation and many people who claim to be "animal activists" do not support spaying and neutering. They are firm believers in breeding because it's "not natural" for them not too. People on that website do not believe males can live together, and so much more. I was almost banned when I told someone not to breed, stated facts on why not too, and told them to rescue instead.

charliesmommy

Cavy Slave
I agree, that website is not anywhere near the caliber this one is, I don't look at it at all anymore The only thing that I have against Aspen is that, as it is wood, it has SOME aromatic oils, as my vet told me. However, it has a LOT less than any other type of wood, and therefore is the safest wood bedding to use. Vets generally favor non-wood bedding, such as Carefresh or fleece, since there is absolutely no risk of exposing the pigs to the aromatic oils when using these, but Aspen is by no means bad for the pigs.

dandelion

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much everybody! I will continue to use Aspen in their litter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.