Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aspen SMELLS

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
I just put down a new batch of aspen bedding into the 2x4 and it's only been 2 1/2 days. IT SMELLS! Has anyone else ever had this problem?

I find that it does smell try aspen mixed with a bedding like carefresh or cel-sorb

I use a 3:1 ratio of aspen to carefresh and it only smells like aspen wood, not pee or poo. I go for about a week between cleanings, and it has never smelled.

I started using fleece because of issues with the smells from aspen. I gave me bad migraines that went away when I got the aspen out of my house.

I have always just done spot cleaning on my aspen every day, and that has kept it from smelling at all. I have found much worse smells with Care Fresh than I ever got with my aspen. I tried using only Care Fresh, a mix of Care Fresh and aspen and just aspen and have found the least smell problem with just the aspen. It also doesn't put out that horrible black dust that I was getting from the Care Fresh - if I ended up coated with it, what happens to the piggies' lungs!

However, I will be switching to the Palace Pet Beds as soon as they arrive as I am hoping to switch to something that is even easier to maintain, mucn cheaper in the long run and that won't get kicked all over the house.

I have tried the following and don't really like them:
Pine shavings
Carefresh
Aspen
Aspen chips
Fleece
Yesterday's news
towels
and about every mix there is!

I'm like out of options...

Looks like you will be trying Palace Pet Beds or Vetbeds, too! ;-)

Pine shavings are my favorite. They smell pleasent.

Wood stove pellets are another option.

Oops. I forgot to add wood stove pellets to that list. I hated how heavy they were.

pigsnchins, I guess I'll have to look into vet bed!

Well here's an update:

I ended up doing fleece because at least it's one of the one's I have less complaints about. For now, the three pigs are going to smell because it's only a 2x4 but this week I am building a huge cage where it shouldn't smell as much.

have you tried cel-sorb?

No but I don't like how expensive it is.

slap_maxwell said:
Pine shavings are my favorite. They smell pleasent.

Wood stove pellets are another option.

Where does one shop for wood stove pellets? I've been on the lookout for them.

Furkidsmommy said:
Where does one shop for wood stove pellets? I've been on the lookout for them.

Home Improvment stores like Home Depot and Lowes. Just mka sure there aren't any chemcial additives.

LuvMyPiggers said:
Home Improvment stores like Home Depot and Lowes. Just mka sure there aren't any chemcial additives.
What area, department in the store? I've been in both the past week and have not seen them.

Hmmm... that's tough... I don't really know. But slap would know..

I should have listened to Slap...we went from pine to fleece to aspen....and now back to pine! Fleece was too stinky in the heat and too much upkeep. Aspen has a funky aroma and does seem to smell faster. (Some other here love it, though, and it's supposedly safer for pigs.) I'm back to pine for the lower level -- well aired out, of course -- and fleece with a 'potty' for the top -- the smell is more pleasant, and the odor control seems great with spot cleaning.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.