Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Shavings Aspen shavings kiln-dried

sfrangu

Cavy Slave
I am using aspen shavings and I wonder if it's kiln-dried would be fine for my piggies, or maybe all wood shavings are kiln dried and I just didn't know until now. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but I'm still learning all the details.

I found this on the home page under bedding.

Bedding

"Aspen is a hardwood shaving which does not have the problems with phenols associated with the softwood beddings such as pine and cedar."

Thank you, I knew that since I've had my first piggy. I was just wondering if their kiln-drying would do anything bad to them, but meanwhile I've already purchased a big bag of it.

No, the kiln-drying is not harmful to them... enjoy your bedding!

Kiln dried makes the shavings better, it removes the phenols that can cause respiratory problems. Aspen doesn't give that problem anyways so it's safe to use, and the prefeerable wood shaving. I hate it's lack of absorbancy though.

Thank you SurfingPigs and Kimberly! We like it very much because of the smell, and change it completely at around 6 days with spot-cleaning daily. I like that I can dispose of all the bedding with one move of the wrist, so to say. And the piggies' fur smells wonderful, we all love giving them little kisses.

No The kinlin dried just means that the oils was heated up and dried out of the shavings.

We use Aspen all the time. Only problem, sometimes w/ the shavings and the hay combined, makes it kinda smell like a farm but then now we have fleece down and it smells too, more than I thought it would .. I've been back and forth a lot.

I like the smell of pine, but you have to worry about getting the kiln dried ones. Blahh... Why do they have to poop so much !

Haha FuryanGoddess, indeed they are little pooping machines. :D

I got a big bag of aspen shavings and... it smells differently than the others I got form the pet store. It's not the same fresh, woody smell that we love so much. I don't know why, maybe it stayed packed for a long time? It says Aspen Wood Shavings on it, 100% natural and no additives, kiln-dried and stuff. Any input on this would be highly appreciated.

I'm so in the air w/ bedding right now. I like the fleece, but it's constant maintance, the Aspen doesn't seem to be holding the smell well, and combined w/ hay, it smells like a barnyard. AND when they try to clean up the shavings, it turns into quite a mess. We usually put newspaper under it and try to roll it up... but it's falling apart and it's bad...

I might try pine shavings this time round, see if that helps w/ the smell at all

Carefresh for the size cage we have just isn't cost effective

I use pine shavings for my foster cage and I don't smell anything between weekly cage changes. If you are putting hay on the bedding, that can contribute to a terrible smell, as peed-on hay is pretty smelly.

No, it's not about the hay. The hay is separate anyway. It is about the smell that the wood shavings have, right when I open the huge bag. It just doesn't have that fresh smell, I wonder if it's something wrong with that batch.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.