Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Argh! The Ignorance of Some People!!

• Thread starter cavy-cool-crazy
  • Start date

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
This makes me so mad.

I am an "Expert" at the "About.com" site. Yes, I am very aware it's mostly breeders giving out crap information, but when I found it I felt the least I could do was actually help some people by giving out decent information. It mightn't get far in the long-term but in the short term I have helped people greatly. The large majority of people who contact me ask about health, behaviour etc. and I have pointed them to here, Guinea Lynx, Cavy Spirit and given them some of the advice I have learnt here. I get a lot of positive feedback saying how much my advice has helped them change their pigs lives, and how happy their pigs now are. I remember one piece of feedback saying something like "I tried the diet advice you gave me, and I have never seen my pig so happy! She is popcorning everywhere and she has finally found her voice again"
I do get a few breeding questions; I turn them away.

You wouldn't believe some of the emails I get through. Well, actually maybe you would. Some are from people whose pigs are virtually on the brink of death, some pigs have been noticed to not be eating for 2 weeks, and sometimes having seizures, most of their hair has fallen out, very lethargic etc. Basically all the signs of a very sick pig.
The people ask "I think my guinea pig is sick. It's got such-and-such symptoms. What can I do to help it?".
Honestly, it's people like that who you just want to shout at to tell them to get to a vet. It's so obvious you'd think even little kids might know that you need a vet, but no, I get people of all ages asking me what they should do because their piggy is sick. Many refer to their piggy as "it" which is another pet hate of mine (and many here I imagine).

Well, today has topped all of that stuff. Someone contacted me yesterday saying both her and her friend have a guinea pig each, and they are letting them play together because they want them to breed. They also said that their guinea pigs were scratching a lot, and they have treated them using kitten flea, tick and lice shampoo. They said it didn't work so should they use it again. I replied and told them everything you guys have said about the breeding risks. I referred them to Guinea Lynx about the lice and stressed that the shampoos are too harsh and ineffective.

I got a reply this morning saying (I have edited this so it is not an exact copy):

I am still gonna use Kitten Flea Tick & Lice shampoo as I
spoke to my vet and he said it won't harm my guinea pig. That is what she recomended me to use. I am getting a new male guinea pig; do you
think I could breed with my friends guineea pig? I will make sure she is ok.

That infuriated me since this person is basically saying that the vet is right and I am wrong. That the site is wrong. They didn't even look at Guinea Lynx judging from their reply. I repied something like this:

Did you not read any of the Guinea Lynx site I directly referred you to?? You might not listen to me judging by your response, but shampoo riddled with pesticides and strong chemicals does not rid lice safely or effectively. Instead it dries the skin and makes it sting, causing further irritation. Remember pigs hide pain until it is unbearable for them to deal with without crying out. Just because they aren't squealing in agony does not mean it isn't hurting them.

Advantage, or another oral, topical or injectable medication advised by a cavy-savvy vet is the most effective thing you can do to treat lice. Either take that advice and do something effective and quick to treat your pig - for HIS sake - or keep trying to do "what the vet said" and see how far you get.

Please bear in mind that vets are not always right. They are not the know-it-alls most people seem to think. They don't know everything about every animal. Some vets are just not cavy-savvy. An exotics vet is usually more experienced and knowledgable on treating guinea pigs than a regular cat-and-dog vet. I have had over 6 different vets for my guinea pigs, and out of them only 2 knew what they were talking about and gave effective, safe treatment.

IS there any particular reason are you getting another male? Is it just for breeding purposes? Is it because your other one is a little aged (5-6 years) and you want a younger one?
If it's for company for your older boar then I appreciate that and thank you for being so considerate to your older boar.
What I don't appreciate is if you are getting one just to breed from.

Whether the sow is okay or not, breeding still poses that 25% risk of death. If your friend doesn't mind breeding her sow then fine, go ahead and breed. You know the risks and you choose to ignore what I have said, so I can do no more. Ultimately it should be HER decision, not yours. Your pig is not the one who could end up needing $1000+ in possible emergency and rehabilitation care, or possibly end up dead as a result of pregnancy toxaemia and other complications. I
I can refer you and her to a highly acclaimed website which tells you excatly the dangers of breeding and why you shouldn't breed.
www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm

I'm sorry you have listened to your vet and replied to me pretty rudely saying everything that I said is effectively wrong. I took over half an hour out of my personal time to help you and I feel I have had it thrown back in my face. Feel free to ignore the millions worldwide who actually share my knowledge and opinion.

Again, I'm sorry for any hostility you feel from me. I feel extremely strongly about this and have held myself back, literally biting my tongue trying to get you to understand why I feel what I do in a polite, calm manner. I really hope you see this from the PIGS view rather than your and your friends own. This is essential to happiness and safety of the pig.

I also was contacted by this "friend" who this person wanted to breed the pig with. The first reply from me was pretty much the same as the first reply to the person I am venting about now. The friend replied again basically saying I was talking crap, her vet knew better, she would use the flea, tick and lice shampoo to treat her pig (despite the fact that it has already failed once!), she didn't want to experience "the adorable baby pig thing or whatever it was you said" and that she had lots of experience in the "adorable baby pig thing or whatever you said" so she knows what she is doing. And she ended it by telling me not to bother replying - despite asking me another question about the lice.

I know there are hundreds of people out there like this and there is basically nothing more we can do to make them see sense. But I really had to vent!! :melodrama

MyPiggiesRock

Cavy Slave
Goodness, I understand your frustration and in life some will listen and take what you say as excellent advice and then others are just ignorant. It is not worth it for you to be upset. The sad thing is the majority of people when they invest what $30-$50 on a piggy purchased in a store they do not realize that there is certain care needed for that animal as well, as much as a doggy or kitty sometimes more. We have not all been wise enough to find a site specifically for a guinea pig, well one that does give actual proper care and advice. They believe that the vet is a DVM and he/she went to school and he/she has a degree so they must know what they are talking about, sad to say, as you have stated in your original post, that many times the Doctor does not give the most accurate or even beneficial advice in the proper care of a small pet such as a guinea pig. You did your best and now it is time to move onto the next person who desperately needs your help. What you are doing is wonderful and do not lose sight of that.

Whit23ney

Cavy Slave
It's people like that who make me think only stupid people are breeding! No, I'm not talking about piggie breeding, I'm talking about their parents being idiots and deciding to have children idiots of their own!!!! Does no one in the world ever do any research??? We should start a gang of "guinea gorillas" who go out at night and kidnap piggies away from stupid people. Oh, and just for kicks, once the guinea pig has been safely removed from the idiots in question, we kick them in the face while they sleep. But we do it in guinea pig costumes and scream "how do you like it?!"
I'm sorry, that story just totally pissed me off.
I still think my idea has merit. Think of how many piggie lives we'd save. Anyone with me?

MyPiggiesRock

Cavy Slave
As I said it is very frustrating and I would take all of them if I had the room. People are just ignorant to the fact that these are living breathing beings and they need to be cared for as such. The breeding is ridiculous as well but again the idiots just do not get the fact that it is a serious health risk. It is a shame.

Whit23ney

Cavy Slave
I know what you mean, I wish I could take more in as well but we already spend a small fortune on the six we have. Although it's hard for me to believe there's nothing we can do. I wish we could all foster some knowing there were programs out there getting all of our fostered guineas good homes. Like, guinea pig care should be a required class in High School and all of the graduates adopt from our fostered piggies once completing the class. hehe. I don't know...I'm just rambling senselessly. It just urks me that there are people out there causing the suffering of piggies and even breeding them so that even more piggies can suffer! If we were rich and I had a huge house with guinea pig bedrooms then I would adopt more....or steal them from idiots.... It's just that not enough people care. It's like the smaller the animal, the less people care. Although, people pay thousands for mini chuauas that are smaller than some of my guineas. Go figure!

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry CCC. Some people are just too stuborn to be helped. We can't save all the pigs, at least not until we get a very large gan of Guinea Gorillas. ;)

We all know how you feel. Just try and think about the many pigs you have helped and hope that nothing goes seriously wrong with these pigs when these fools try and breed them. And that after the kitten shampoo doesn't work for the SECOND time (or heck even the thrid) they'll take your advice, look at GL and these pigs will get the right treatment.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Comment:
My vet says you're retarted .
Knowledge - 1
Clarity - 1
Time - 1
Polite - 1

I had to laugh.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
Hm. I haven't figured out how to become tarted yet, much less do it again.

katiecavyNC

Cavy Slave
Well, I teach natural childbirth classes, and I have a motto:

You can lead a horse to water, you can dunk his head in and hold it down, and sometimes he still won't drink.

You are doing a great service and changing piggies lives by giving out your sound advice. Unfortunatly, you will run across people like these from time to time who just won't 'get it'. People ask my advice all the time, I give it, and explain WHY and I still get the 'well my Dr wouldn't tell me to do it if it wasn't best for me..., right??'

Focus on the many, many GP owners who you have helped make better caretakers of their piggies!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
some pigs have been noticed to not be eating for 2 weeks
I'd love to see these pigs who have eaten nothing for 2 weeks. I mean their systems start shutting down after 12 hours of not eating and usually if they don't eat anything at all within 24-36 they start dying and are probably dead within 48 hours or so of not eating. That's why we strongly advocate handfeeding if you notice your pig has eaten nothing within a 12 hour period.

These pigs that "aren't" eating for 2 weeks have to be eating something or they would not be alive.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Comment:
My vet says you're retarted .
Knowledge - 1
Clarity - 1
Time - 1
Polite - 1
I had to laugh.

Ha! I would have said, hmm. sure. I'm laughing at your stupidity when you realise your pig is dead from your "vet's" advice.
P.S. Please don't reproduce when you get older. There are enough dimwits like you in the world already.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I would like to meet this vet who so unprofessional as to use that term to describe a person. I think he or she is make believe. Or maybe they have a special invisible vet that only they can talk to.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Whoo! A schitzophranik breeder. Perfect, just perfect.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
My imaginary vet is going to a party at a vampire's house next Saturday. He will probably ride his dragon there.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Well my imaginary vet is purple and lives in my fishtank. He rides his unicorn everywhere.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
lol My imaginary vet is named Dr. Fredfredburger. He's a very nice man, but every time I take one of my imaginary pets in to see him in his office on the rainbow over my house they seem to disappear. He claims that they disappear when they think negative thoughts. So when ever they see their vitamin shot coming they just go *poof*. I think I need a second opinon. I'll go talk to the tooth fairy. She says she has a good vet to reference me too.

Wow, I got a little carried away.
rainbowplay.jpg

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Hahahaha. Wow. Got a little into it did we PiggieMom? Very nice picture.

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
It is so nice to see someone with some knowledge as the "expert". All they have in the past were jokes.

PinkGrass

Cavy Slave
I find it funny that these people go to you asking advice.. you give it, and then they get defensive and feel it's important to piss you off. The whole point of asking for advice was to recieve advice and learn from it, no?

D: Ugh. Things like this make me crazy. And that sad thing is they probably won't learn their lesson if something goes wrong, judging from their immaturity.

And wow, PiggieMom... I about fell out of my seat laughing about Dr. Fredfredburger.

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
You know how there are signs by amusement park rides that say you have to be so high to ride on them? There should be a similar requirement for pet ownership. You have to have a certain IQ to own them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.