Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Are they safe to use?

trump_cinnamon

Cavy Slave
I recently bought some grids at target, not knowing that they changed. (I read the thread after I got home). So I was wondering, are the ones that have 8 holes in them ok to use? (My piggies are pretty big...) Also, can I use the ones with 5 holes in them for the upper level floor? I would be putting coroplast/ fleece and towels on top of them, so would this be fine? I just really want to make the upper level, because when I do this, They will each have a 2x5 cage! (With a 1x2 divided "visiting" area on each side, one on the upper level, one on the lower level). I will post pictures when I finish, but for now I need to know if the grids are safe, because I bought two boxes of them!

tehdoc809

Cavy Slave
I would say no, because even though the cavies body my be too big, their heads are more or less in the shape of a cone. So those 8x8 grids can be just big enough for even grown cavies to squeeze their head in and get stuck.

Ilovemypiggies1

Cavy Slave
I would say no, because even though the cavies body my be too big, their heads are more or less in the shape of a cone. So those 8x8 grids can be just big enough for even grown cavies to squeeze their head in and get stuck.

I agree, i think it's better safe than sorry to not use them. Without you knowing one of your guinea pigs could get it's head caught and get a possibly fatal injury. If i were you i wouldn't risk the chance. Do you still have the receipt? If so you could go back to Target, exchange them and buy them at a different store where the grids are the standard 9x9.

trump_cinnamon

Cavy Slave
I can't exchange them, because they were on clearance. But since I bought two boxes, it was still expensive. I don't have much money to spare, and I was hoping maybe there was a way?

Looking at both of them, I can't imagine them getting their heads stuck. Trump is the biggest guinea pig I have ever seen! (My little sister calls him a small dog.:crazy:!!)

However, unless they are completely safe, I'm not going to use them.

Can I use the larger, 5x5 grids as floor for the upper level?
I really want to make them this cage!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Yes, you can use them as a floor. Or you can use them as a stand and put the cage on that. It's best to have the cage off of the ground anyway. The other option is to extend the coroplast higher up the sides or to overlap the grids you bought so that the squares will be essentially cut in half.

trump_cinnamon

Cavy Slave
I will probably end up doing that. Just one question: Did you mean overlap the 5x5 grids or the 8x8 grids? When I overlap the 5x5 grids, they look to be about the right size. However, when I overlap the 8x8 grids, the squares are just tiny little rectangles!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
You can definitely overlap the 8x8 grids. It's fine if the rectangles are very small. I'm not sure what the dimensions of the 5x5 grids work out to, but if when you overlap them you have rectangles of 1.5 inches or less in width, that will be fine as well. Otherwise to be on the safe side, use them as a floor or stand.

trump_cinnamon

Cavy Slave
The 5x5 grids are to big, even overlapped.:( Too bad. I will probably use them as the bottom of the upper level, and I will also make a cubby out of the leftover to hold all of the guinea pig supplies that I have, and put it under the cage as a stand! At least the grids aren't going to waste now! Thanks!lol

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I vote for not safe.

You can try overlapping them. Won't be pretty but it works.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.